Breed suggestions for 100% forage diet!

True, I didn't look at the location just the sate! Lol! Hopefully they still ship to me, does anyone else know of anywhere else that sells them, if the one doesn't work? Surly there are other places.
I don't know where in WA you are, but I am in north central WA and they are 23 hours from me. (one way) {According to Mapquest.}

Adding to the list! I now have 5 breeds listed, if I get 3 of each, I will have 15 birds, 4 of each is 20 birds. I am going to try to only purchase 5 different breeds but am still adding ideas to the list! Availability will likely be the choosing point. Keep the ideas coming!
Keep in mind that not all breeds do well with other birds. (For instance, some game birds are a bit aggressive. Hens tend to go broody and can also be a bit aggressive to others at that time.) Not to mention the rooster issues.

Keep in mind that not all breeds do well with other birds. (For instance, some game birds are a bit aggressive. Hens tend to go broody and can also be a bit aggressive to others at that time.) Not to mention the rooster issues.
Got it. I will also select breeds based on that. Thanks for bring this to mind! I totally spaced that!

What are you thoughts on Mille Fleur Belgian Bearded d'Uccle? I was looking on Meyer hatchery for the breed sI may not be abel to find in feed stores, and I came upon them. They have thought spots that may be able to fide the outline of the bird, and they are brown to hopefully blend in?

What are you thoughts on Mille Fleur Belgian Bearded d'Uccle?

If you want them to forage for their food, and to avoid predators, I would avoid any breed with extra feathers on the face or head (muff/beard or crest). I've seen some muffs that stuck out far enough to interfere with the chicken's vision, and of course we've all seen photos of crested birds with their eyes covered.

What are you thoughts on Mille Fleur Belgian Bearded d'Uccle? I was looking on Meyer hatchery for the breed sI may not be abel to find in feed stores, and I came upon them. They have thought spots that may be able to fide the outline of the bird, and they are brown to hopefully blend in?
They are also tiny. The smaller they are, the more predators they are prey FOR.

Back
Top Bottom