Breed?

Thank you all, you are the pro's and that's why sites like this exist. Guess what happened yesterday (7-26-16) morning at 7:30....Cock-a-Doodle Doo!!! He's not so loud (yet) but he is proud. Not sure what we are going to do yet (beside rename him from Holly to Henry). I have never been one to get rid of a pet because of an inconvenience but all I wanted were hens and am not looking to raise chicks. We might just keep him (if the neighbors approve) for the safety of the other girls. We have already lost 2 to the local bobcat.

Thanks again to everyone who replied and you were all spot on!!

Thank you all, you are the pro's and that's why sites like this exist. Guess what happened yesterday (7-26-16) morning at 7:30....Cock-a-Doodle Doo!!! He's not so loud (yet) but he is proud. Not sure what we are going to do yet (beside rename him from Holly to Henry). I have never been one to get rid of a pet because of an inconvenience but all I wanted were hens and am not looking to raise chicks. We might just keep him (if the neighbors approve) for the safety of the other girls. We have already lost 2 to the local bobcat.

Thanks again to everyone who replied and you were all spot on!!
If you plan on keeping him, you're going to need more hens. 2 is just not enough, even for a gentle rooster. And roosters can be more than just a bit of an inconvenience. They can become dangerous or terrors to the hens.

Yea, i've heard that from friends as well. We have a total of 4 hens and I really don't want to see them loose all of their head feathers and get beat up, feels kind cruel to me. I'm told my local feed store will sometimes take them and re-home them. I'll ask for their opinion on it as well.

Back
Top Bottom