Breed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Erinmir, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Erinmir

Erinmir Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    West Alexander, PA
    So, I totally caved at TSC today - hubby has been wanting some ducks for awhile and today just happened to be chick shipment day so they had TONS of little cheepers to pick from. I let him pick two ducks from the "assorted ducklings" and he let me pick out 4 new easter egger chicks. Anyhow - the ducks weren't labeled as to what breed they might be so I was hoping someone could help us out. Just googling and looking at pictures from hatchery websites our best guess right now is pekins. Guesses? Thoughts?

Here they are:
    [​IMG]

2. Lute

Lute Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Socorro, NM
    They look like my Pekins did on the day I bought them.

3. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Yes they look like pekins.

4. Lute

Feb 25, 2012
    Socorro, NM
    I have a weird question; do they have longish necks or short necks? Because they could also be Call Ducks.

5. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Most likely Pekin, call ducklings are too small to ship so TSC wouldn't have them.

6. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

The only ducks I have ever seen in my tsc were either roens or pekins. It looks like you have a pair of pekins and in my experience they will be girls.

7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    They won't be call duck. Cals don't ship as day old ducklings as they are too fragile.

Most likely Pekins.

TSC's duckling and chick stock varies depending on the part of the country and state restrictions that might be in place.

8. Erinmir

Erinmir Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    West Alexander, PA
    Thanks for the confirmation everyone! From what I've read Pekins are a good duck for first time duck owners so I'm looking forward to our future together. They are already super friendly and cuddly so I'm thinking we'll have a nice little pair here. :)

We were originally looking for call ducks but couldn't find any available in our area and when we went to TSC and saw all the little ducklings, we just totally gave in. :) Down the road I'd love to add some calls to our flock though.

9. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    I love pekins! They are a great breed to start with. For getting Calls remember there is a large difference between the 2 pekins you have now and the size of calls. Also calls fly and pekins will not! I don't have calls due to the fact my flock (Pekins and Rouens) would probably pick on them since they are SO much smaller! :)

10. Lute

Feb 25, 2012
    Socorro, NM
    I'll warn you; Pekins are NOT as quiet as everyone keeps saying they are! Mine love to talk. A LOT. I think my neighbors are getting ready to revolt. [​IMG]

Males sound like a ratchet and they do quack, but they quack kinda softly. The females have a different quacking sound.

Males supposedly hiss. Mine have yet to do this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by