Breed?

Darkwings

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 9, 2012
Atascadero, CA
These poor ducks need an identity! Picked up by a rescue group from SPCA in San Jose. I have been unable to find any breed that they could possible be. As ducklings I was thinking Appleyards, but as adult they look like Rouens? Any and all guesses and suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
Yes, I've been fostering them since they were about a week old. They have a potential home lined up else where, but if it doesn't work out I'm going to keep them.
smile.png
Thanks guys, I've been thinking that they had to be a mix since I was having no luck finding any breeds that matched them exactly.

Yes, I've been fostering them since they were about a week old. They have a potential home lined up else where, but if it doesn't work out I'm going to keep them.
smile.png
Thanks guys, I've been thinking that they had to be a mix since I was having no luck finding any breeds that matched them exactly.
What a great thing, fostering these ducklings, I know it would be hard for me to give them up but so nice you are able to find them a good home. If you keep please come back and post pics as they start getting their adult plumage.

Ok, now another question. I noticed that one of them has a drooping wing. She tries to adjust it up, but then it droops again. They recently got moved into the coop with the chickens, but everyone free ranges during the day and they pretty much ignore each other. Could one of the hens have attacked her and injured her wing? My only other thought is an angel wing sort of situation, which I have no experience with. Should I just leave it or tape it up or what?

Ok, now another question. I noticed that one of them has a drooping wing. She tries to adjust it up, but then it droops again. They recently got moved into the coop with the chickens, but everyone free ranges during the day and they pretty much ignore each other. Could one of the hens have attacked her and injured her wing? My only other thought is an angel wing sort of situation, which I have no experience with. Should I just leave it or tape it up or what?
I have heard that some growing ducks have a hard time holding their wings up for short periods of time during their development, so this may not be a big worry. Let's see if someone with direct experience has seen this.

I have heard that some growing ducks have a hard time holding their wings up for short periods of time during their development, so this may not be a big worry. Let's see if someone with direct experience has seen this.
Oh boy when my muscovies are getting their blood feathers in they are constantly doing this wing droops they adjust then it starts again, those wings are heavy so it takes time to build the muscles to hold them up. Post a pic if you can on the side thats giving a problem the sticky at the top of the duck thread talks about angel wing this sounds more like heavy wing to me.

If it is due to weak muscles and you tape it up it will only weaken the muscles more. I would leave it alone for a few days and see if it gets better or worse.

Back
Top Bottom