Duck Breed Identification

AvaGates

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2023
Hello! I was hoping for a bit of help with identifying the breed of my ducklings.

After lots of googling and comparing cute duckling photos to my five babies, I'm a bit stumped about which breed I have here.
I did some research about the rescue where we got the eggs and these are the breeds they say they have in their coop (I've crossed off a few that I'm pretty sure are non-matches):
  • Buff
  • Fawn Runner
  • Rouen
  • Blue Swedish
  • Cayuga
  • Mallard
  • Black Runner
  • Buff Crested
  • Pekin
Introducing, Bill, Waddles, Mort, Puddles, and Butter:
duckles (1).gif

The dark one (Mort) looks a lot like a Black Swedish to me - but the rescue didn't list that breed. The other four all have black feet except one (Puddles) and little hats of varying darkness. What do you think? My leading guesses right now are Rouen, Blue Swedish, Appleyard, or some mix of those.

oh. my. goodness! they are sooooooo cute! i think you’re right, i do not see any runners in there.
I'm a little sad that my random batch didn't have a Pekin but these babies are perfect in every way. Especially runty lil Butterball.

You think I'm right that they're a mix of those three or that Mort is a Black Swedish?

Back
Top Bottom