Breeders around Boise, Idaho

Fleetwood77

Songster
6 Years
Dec 10, 2015
Boise, Idaho
I had been looking at getting my chicks from Dunlap Hatchery, and I have heard mostly good things about them. However, I would also like to explore the option of buying from a breeder, mainly as I was told that Dunlap only sells Easter Eggers but not the true Ameraucanas, and I'd really like to get one of those.
Are there any breeders around the Boise area, especially one that might have Ameraucanas?

I'm not personally aware of any breeders around the Boise area but if you type "Boise" in the Search box at the top of the page, perhaps some of our members in that area can help you locate some. I have ordered chicks from Dunlap on a number of occasions and have been happy with their birds and service.

There is a breeder in Paul, Idaho that has great chickens. I drove up from SLC to purchase French Copper Marans from her.
At that time she also had Ameraucanas (not the E.E.'s) Her name is Michelle and if my brain kicks into gear in the next little
bit I will email you her last name, too.

There is a breeder in Paul, Idaho that has great chickens. I drove up from SLC to purchase French Copper Marans from her.
At that time she also had Ameraucanas (not the E.E.'s) Her name is Michelle and if my brain kicks into gear in the next little
bit I will email you her last name, too.

Does she sex them though? Since posting this I found a breeder here in Boise who sells Ameraucanas, but she doesn't sex them, which will end up being too much of a hassle if I get a rooster I then need to rehome.
I also ordered my chicks already from ChickensForBackyards. Though I am not sure whether the Ameraucana I ordered will be a genuine Ameraucana as labeled or an EE. I am still not 100% sure as to what the exact difference is and how to tell.

Most commercial hatcheries sell E.E. as Americaunas, sometimes mispelled because they know no better.

There is a SOP (standard of perfection) you can read online for the Americauna. E.E. are a mutt breed and
come in colors now allowed in the Americauna. Leg color is usually the true givaway if you read the standard.

There is no standard for the E.E.

Anyway, good luck.

Does she sex them though? Since posting this I found a breeder here in Boise who sells Ameraucanas, but she doesn't sex them, which will end up being too much of a hassle if I get a rooster I then need to rehome.
I also ordered my chicks already from ChickensForBackyards. Though I am not sure whether the Ameraucana I ordered will be a genuine Ameraucana as labeled or an EE. I am still not 100% sure as to what the exact difference is and how to tell.

You can see the SOP requirements for Ameraucanas at http://www.ameraucana.org/standard.html. Ameraucanas are one of the most rigorously judged breeds and the Ameraucana breeders club considers any bird that fails to meet any of these standards to be an Easter Egger and not a true Ameraucana.

Back
Top Bottom