Breeders or Hatcheries that offer Olive Eggers and Ameraucanas

MsChickenHerder

In the Brooder
Nov 15, 2016
Northwest Ohio
Next spring I would like to add some Ameraucanas and Olive Eggers to my flock. How expensive are these breeds typically? If anyone knows of a reputable breeder or hatcheries near Northwest Ohio.Thanks in advance.

As long as you aren't looking for show-quality birds, I would DEFINITELY recommend Meyer Hatchery.
smile.png
Their birds are very nice-quality. My Olive Egger is amazingly gorgeous, plus her eggs are simply stunning. I believe she is of the Ameraucana/Marans strain.

I've also really liked our Ameraucanas, the Black hen especially is so pretty.
love.gif

Here's one of her huge, gorgeous eggs on the bottom right.

~Alex

Those are beautiful birds and the eggs look great! I had two Ameracauna's and hate that one died, I definitely want to add more of them and maybe try Olive Eggers as well.
Do Hatcheries have older birds as well or just very young chicks? I'd rather have birds that were older and closer to egg laying age, but I'm sure those cost more.

Meyer Hatchery has birds 16-20 weeks old currently. They are about $13 a peice. And I believe they are ready to start layi ng or are laying already. :) I checked it out a few nights ago.

Last edited:
As long as you aren't looking for show-quality birds, I would DEFINITELY recommend Meyer Hatchery.
smile.png
Their birds are very nice-quality. My Olive Egger is amazingly gorgeous, plus her eggs are simply stunning. I believe she is of the Ameraucana/Marans strain.

I've also really liked our Ameraucanas, the Black hen especially is so pretty.
love.gif

Here's one of her huge, gorgeous eggs on the bottom right.

~Alex
WOW Alex! Beautiful eggs and birds! I can't decide between Meyer and Murray McMurray for next year's order and your pictures definitely have me swinging towards Meyer!

Hi.
frow.gif

I got my OE and black/blue Ameraucana from...

http://northwoodspoultry.com/

I would order from them again. In dealing with smaller breeders I got much more personal service than with the hatcheries. USPS has messed my route up so bad I had zero hatchery survivors in two separate orders but 14 out of 22 (ordered 19) survived 4 days in shipping with her tracking them down and talking with the post masters at different location.

I love the quality of everything except her Salmon Faverolle which seem to have bent or curled toes, which I am not sure if is a side effect of the long shipping... but since it's both SF boys, thinking it wasn't shipping. They are handsome and sweet, a good representation of the breed... but...

One thing about hatchery verses breeders is you can get your chicks sexed at hatcheries.

Have fun with your new flock when they arrive!
smile.png

Your birds are beautiful. I just lost my big back Ameraucana roo that matches your hen. I was luck that a hen I sold ended up being his brother. Even more luck is she wants to stud him out to me. Whitmore Farms has amazing bue, black and splash ameraucanas. About $8 each.

Hi, on Meyer's Hatchery site, how do you find the older birds available? I went to this for example for easter eggers:

https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?prodID=AMAS

and I don't know how to find the older birds. Tips for a newbie to ordering?

Thanks!
Dave
I was just looking at their website this morning. If you go to the main page, put your cursor over "shop", and click on juvenile fowl over to the right of the new window that appears.

Next spring I would like to add some Ameraucanas and Olive Eggers to my flock. How expensive are these breeds typically? If anyone knows of a reputable breeder or hatcheries near Northwest Ohio.Thanks in advance.

Just be careful if you want true Ameraucanas. Some hatcheries sell Easter Eggers (Nothing wrong with them. I actually like them.) and call them Ameraucanas. My Pet Chicken has both. The Ameraucanas are about $20.00 for a sexed day old pullet while an EE is three dollars plus change.
MPC also has olive eggers and the other year when I was looking they were $10.00 apiece for a sexed day old pullet so I decided to make my own, and there are so many ways you can do it and get lovely olive eggs, including speckled olive eggs. I've bred a cream legbar rooster to black copper marans, blue splash marans, welsummers, and mixes for my first group of olive egger.
This year I bred an Americana rooster to the same type of hens, but those aren't laying yet.

Back
Top Bottom