Breeding a Black and White Silkie???

Black and White crossed together will not produce Grey. Grey is just another name for Silver Partridge. The reason you don't want to cross the two is because the recessive white in silkies can cover other colors. Here is a way I explain it:

Say you breed two colored birds (any color doesn't matter) and each carries recessive white. Then, they have offspring that end up being white due to the recessive genes. Those birds may be white, but there could be other colors that were passed on as well.

That's how I like to think of it. You don't know what could be hiding under the recessive white and mixing it with the Black Silkie could produce unknown results.

If you would like to cross them for the fun of it and out of curiosity then feel free to.
smile.png
Is it possible for a coop with only gray silkies to produce white chicks? Thank you.

I know this is an old post. But I have a question for the group… if you breed a black female to a white male, you can get either white or black? All the babies look to be gray or black. Will their coloring change? This is our first time having silkies.

Back
Top Bottom