Breeding a new chicken breed

Pics
Hi, so I am just wondering if anyone here knows what happens when a pea comb is crossed with a V comb.

Just seeing if the pea comb genetics further lessen the size of the V, perhaps for a greater effect of the spitz crest.
Else I have to breed out the Peas from my crosses 😀

Hi, so I am just wondering if anyone here knows what happens when a pea comb is crossed with a V comb.

Just seeing if the pea comb genetics further lessen the size of the V, perhaps for a greater effect of the spitz crest.
I think it would cause the pea comb to be split down the middle. It'll look interesting.

I found a thread with a photo of a rooster who is pure for both pea comb and duplex (V) comb:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/multiple-comb-type-breeds.1436426/page-3#post-23904608

So I finally found a guy selling Orpingtons here. Thinking of adding some in the crock pot of my breeding experiment!
I mean, love their ability to sit on eggs despite their decent number of eggs, and would only add to the genepool (currently relying on the broodiness to be derived from the landrace, and to an extent, the brahma).
I'm just curious about the gene for leg length in the Orpingtons. Is this the same as the ones for short shanks (that dwarfism gene)?
Would love to know, as I'd want the longer length of shanks from the brahma, or even the regular ones from the other breeds (for evading predators mainly). Used to have two Orpington hens long back, were the first to be a meal when visited by a fox. 🥲

I'm just curious about the gene for leg length in the Orpingtons. Is this the same as the ones for short shanks (that dwarfism gene)?

I think Orpingtons have normal leg lengths, but maybe the ones with really fluffy feathers would look like their legs are shorter :confused:

I'm sure they do NOT have the creeper gene (very short legs like in Japanese bantams, kills any chick if they get two copies of the gene.)

I think Orpingtons have normal leg lengths, but maybe the ones with really fluffy feathers would look like their legs are shorter :confused:

I'm sure they do NOT have the creeper gene (very short legs like in Japanese bantams, kills any chick if they get two copies of the gene.)
Thanks! Yes, now that you talk about it, I'm guessing it's their fluff.
The breed standard, asking them to have a 'low stance' confused me initially.

Though, I now guess that longer legs are better on bigger birds, for better predator evasion. Will have to see as time goes.

Any idea on the long leg gene from Brahma's, Aseel and the like? As in their mode of inheritance. Is it a host of genes, or just one gene that is dominant/partially dominant?
All my Brahma crosses have long legs in the F1. Need to wait more to see, because I'm still not line breeding anything yet, so no F2.

Not an expert on breeding or genetics but if you want a v comb and a less problematic crest you could try using a Houdan as a parent. Houdans have 5 toes too, so you might get 5 toes on your breed
Yes! I did consider it.
1) it's difficult to source Houdans in India.
2) I did try Polish and Silkies for crest too. The problem here was I couldn't get any without the cranial vault in the former, and too much vision impairment in the latter.
I decided on the Spitz only because they don't have the cranial vaults and vision impairment. Then again, need to see how well this can be fixed in the breed.
Faverolles have 5 toes too 😊 I think it's the Houdan heritage!
I might breed out the beard if the final birds have as much vision impairment as the faverolles (once the tighter feathers are fixed, I want the beard to be like, let's say a polish). Again, just want a utility bird that looks distinct from other available breeds here, because there's rampant crossing with coloured broilers, and features that can easily be caught if crossbred (partially dominant genes like the V comb)

Back
Top Bottom