Breeding AND a long beak question

Louise's Country Closet

Songster
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
Garrison, MN
So I have two questions concerning turkeys and I was wondering if someone could help me?

Yesterday I noticed that all of my turkeys have really long upper beaks, is that normal? I looked closer and on a couple you'd think that it would be hard eating that way. I just wanted to know if that was normal, and here's a picture to kind of show what I mean:

045.jpg

My second question, and it's kind of funny.. is how long does it usually take a male turkey to learn how to mate his female? I was outside earlier and she was squatting and putting her butt in the air for me and my big guy came running over and jumped on her back. Well, you know what he was doing after that but when I looked closer, he was just doing a dance on top of her back
th.gif
He wasn't anywhere CLOSE to where he was suppose to be, but it was the funniest thing I'd ever seen.

After that, he tried to mate with the lip on the coop that keeps the straw inside and then tried my mom's leg
gig.gif
He's almost 6 months now so I'm giving him a little credit, I was just wanting to know how long it would take him to get the hang of things. They've been at this for almost 2 weeks now.M

Last edited by a moderator:
mine have longer beaks than yours, and it took mine quite a while to get it figured out . . . they had a favorite plastic bag with pvc in it for awhile (i refused to pick it up lol). the first few times with the hen he mostly just stood on her but then one day
roll.png

Some toms get it figured out pretty quick, others aren't as talented. I just can't see how the hen tolerates getting squished repeatedly by a tom that hasn't quite gotten his act together.
he.gif
I've caught myself actually trying to breathe for her!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom