Breeding Aseels

Pics
To give some perspective, Miami hottest day ever recorded was 38.8 degrees Celcious and The Average temperature on the hottest month(August) is 32.7 C and India Can't possibly be hotter than that and that is why Aseels do poorly in hot Summers

May is the hottest month in Bihar with average temperature of 31°C, but don't let it fool you, because we have a continental climate, the difference between highest and lowest temperature is stark. The highest temperature recorded was 44.9°C.

We may need to consider this in terms of wet-bulb temperature, temperature combined with humidity. I think the Aseels are more tolerant of higher wet-bulb temperatures during periods of exertion when compared to bankovid type games. During periods of exertion when wet-bulb temperature is not high the Aseel enjoys no advantage. The bankovid types are better at surviving outside the pit when wet-bulb temperatures are low for a suite of reasons. The bankovids have better tolerances to exposure with elements and based on what I think I am seeing, the bankovid games are more flexible in their feeding requirements and can meet their needs in a semi-feral setting which has been a strong selective force on them all along. The Aseels have been babied in some ways. The care regimen I am advised to follow certainly supports this. Videos I see from Pakistan and India also indicate their needs are very closely catered to.

My Aseel bullstag tolerated temperatures as low as 0 F / -18 C and has ancestors that survived -11 F / -24 C in the last 10 years. When the same Aseel line was first brought over from India / Pakistan during the 1980's, that had very poor winter tolerances where half supposedly died each winter during the first decade. I wander what types of changes were selected for to promote better winter survival.

@Kabootar there are multiple variations on the Aseel, even in India / Pakistan. I bet if like in the states, people keeping one variant will not respect other variants as Aseel. It is easy to see a similar pattern on this forum alone and it exists among the many of the gamefowl people in the US. The bullstag I have is reputed to be pure by someone I trust very well and who acquired them from a sibling that brought them over as hatching eggs. The person that brought them over had interested in what he got because they were used in the gaff rather than naked heel. That use would have selected for quicker and more agile birds.

I've moved my two that I've got left to the grow-out brooder. Its looking like I have a cockerel and a pullet if I'minterpreting the white-faced one's comb correctly.

ECC07313-8E7F-4125-8BE6-EAF1D324571B_1_201_a.jpeg
3EA82C0A-69A1-4916-867D-1AB7ADD4BBD8.jpeg
C9024F26-E2B2-4A46-8B1D-28D4A91ED437.jpeg
B0D20ECC-2A48-4327-9D66-F824089C892C.jpeg
5C35F736-1926-4AE9-B58C-61DA3D700718.jpeg
531152CE-F257-4503-9426-9E0F929FE124.jpeg

A couple random redquill hens in my yard. I can hear the cock in the woods I hope the electric fence keeps him out
I know the owner and they are very good blood
20200720_174755.jpg

Back
Top Bottom