Breeding Bantams with standard size chickens

DaggerD

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 23, 2009
Idaho
What would happen if I were to breed my Blue Laced Red Wyandotte Bantams with standard sized Golden Laced Wyndottes?

My wife wants something a little larger for meat, so I was just curious. Would this make a medium'ish sized chicken? Hopefully all of the traits of the Bantams with a little more meat.

And what would the coloring be? Any ideas? This isn't nearly as important, just curious.

Oh....and would it be better to breed a bantam rooster with the standard sized hens? Or the standard sized rooster with the bantam hens?

So then do you get some that are small and some that are large?
Is this just not a good idea at all?

For about two 1/2 months of the year I let the birds run together. I've had bantam and standards breed. It is easier for a bantam rooster to standard hen. The chicks were medium sized when they grew up. No changes in egg size.

Quote:
i would think they would start off banty size,, then with line breeding you may end up with 50/50, and in 4 or 5 years get an inbetween bird.
nother thing on the standard roo and banty hen,,,,, how would a standard size chick fit in a banty egg
hmm.png

If you wanted both standards and banties i would go with a bantam roo on a standard hen, I used to have both bantam and standard roos but the standards ended up getting rehomed and i stuck with bantam roos.

Well I had a surprise when I found out that my standard size EE was obviously putting the moves on my black Silkie hen.. she kept her clutch hidden until I heard the peeping and found 5 hatched EE/Silkie mixes.. they look and seem to leaning toward the build of the EE including cheek muffs and coloring but have some feathering to their feet/legs.. they are beautiful.. and momma silkie did a fantastic job raising them even though they grew as big as she was in a short time.

Back
Top Bottom