Breeding Behavior Or Illness?

Soph Loves Chooks

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2019
Recently my female red bourbon turkey, Zim, has been acting strange. In the morning and afternoon she just lays down and won’t move, no matter what you do. Today I tried to get her up but she just flattened out her wings and “pancaked“ as I call it, like she was being mounted (although our male turkey has no interest in her). I left her be for a minute, but when I came back she was in the same spot standing up, but still wouldn’t walk. A minute later shes back to normal, running around being mad.

I don’t think she’s even a year old yet, neither is our male. This is my first experience with owning turkeys so I’m very confused on her behavior.

what’s wrong with her? Should I take her to the vet?

Recently my female red bourbon turkey, Zim, has been acting strange. In the morning and afternoon she just lays down and won’t move, no matter what you do. Today I tried to get her up but she just flattened out her wings and “pancaked“ as I call it, like she was being mounted (although our male turkey has no interest in her). I left her be for a minute, but when I came back she was in the same spot standing up, but still wouldn’t walk. A minute later shes back to normal, running around being mad.

I don’t think she’s even a year old yet, neither is our male. This is my first experience with owning turkeys so I’m very confused on her behavior.

what’s wrong with her? Should I take her to the vet?
She is "assuming the position" which means she is ready to breed. They are sexually mature by the time they are 6 months old. If not provided with supplemental light, they will typically start breeding during the spring following the year they were hatched.

Back
Top Bottom