Breeding black sexlinks??

hatchaholic

Songster
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
South Carolina
I'm not up on what you can/should cross with what, so I'm going to ask this question. If it's a dumb one, just overlook me...we're still new at this.

We have 18 black sexlink pullets that, hopefully, will start laying anyday.
fl.gif
We also have 2 RIR roos and 2 bantam partridge cochin roos. I know that you are not supposed to breed the sexlinks together (thus no SL roo), but is it okay to breed them with the RIR?

If I'm understanding correctly, the only thing that would happen is that they would no longer be sexlinked, but they should still be healthy and good egg producers, right?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
We have barred rock hens and RIR roos for that purpose already.

I've heared that if you breed 1st generation BSL with 1st generation BSL, and even further down the line, they become less hardy, less healthy, and don't produce as good a quality of eggs. I've also heard they lose the sexlink gene when you breed like this. Is this true? If so, would it be better to breed them to RIR, especially for maximum egg production and for meat birds?

Thanks.

It doesn't matter what you cross a sex link with, their offspring won't be sex linked.

As for strength and laying any offspring will likely be less hardy and productive. Only the first generation carries the 'hybrid vigor'.

That said, I've found my second gen to be as good as any of my purebred hatchery stock in laying and health. It's not like they turn into duds.
smile.png
So cross your best cocks to your best hens regardless of breed and you'll get good results.

edited to clarify
roll.png

Last edited:
Thanks, Ella. That's what I wanted to know. I didn't know how much of a change there would be between the first generation and future gens, other than being sexlinked.

I want to be as responsible as possible with my breeding, and don't want to do anything harmful out of ignorance.

Thanks again!!

its really a crap shoot when u mix them...sometimes they turn out to b super fast growing studs and sometimes they are not as good or only as good as parents. i have crossed my sexlinks to other roos and got some awsome looking and well laying chicks. remember all breeds are a cross of something many times over, just the best crosses were kept,.
sometimes u can even strengthen a breed, esp one that has been inbred too many times by infusing their blood with something hardier. its a common practice.

Back
Top Bottom