Breeding black to white?

I'm not sure how the dominant colors work- think it depends on the bird. but I have hatched dozens of chicks from my black cochin roo and white hen, and every chick was black.

I had a BRH game roo breed a white and a red laced bantam Indian game hens. Out of he eggs I kept I hatched 1 white 1 charcoal 3 gray 1 black mutt hens and 1 gray roo with orange hackle and saddle feathers. All the offspring ended up with a bantam gamefowl body. Hens with gray legs, roo with yellow.

I think it depends on whether you are dealing with a dominant or recessive white or black gene. I think both black & white dominant as well as black & white recessive.

In my experiences. With dominant white, you end up with a white bird that possess black spots, a few black feathers somewhat resembling a splash, and occasionally a solid white bird. Recessive white I'm not sure on, probably the opposite i'd guess.. Not a genetic guru or anything, i base it off of personal experience.

There are various ways a bird can be white.
The most frequent is, probably, recessive white which, when the bird has two recessive white genes, stops all colour from the feathers. A bird can carry one recessive white gene without showing any sign of having that gene.
Dominant white is another frequent gene causing white. Dominant white, primarily stops black pigment. Most all white birds which are dominant white, would have been black had they not had at least one dominant white gene. An otherwise black bird with only one dominant white gene tends, most often, to be white with black flecks.

Back
Top Bottom