Breeding blue/splash

nhrocks

Chirping
Apr 1, 2015
Barnstead NH
I realize this isn't a breeding forum, but it doesn't seem that there is one.

I understand blue/black/splash genetics. What I'm curious about is how dominant the black is in a splash bird. I have a splash ameraucana roo who is covering a mixed flock. I did a test hatch of my black copper marans eggs, and got blue chicks. Yay! Success. Blue olive eggers!

So when I hatch my RIR and white rock eggs to get green layers, will those chicks be blue as well? I plugged the colors in to a color calculator and the result says blue chicks, just wondering if anyone had real life experience. It seems too good to be true!

Had to put off setting eggs for a few weeks due to a mutt cockerel reaching puberty sooner than anticipated ...

The Rhode Island Reds should produce blue chicks under a splash cock. The White Rocks could have either blue or white chicks, depending on their genetics. I seem to recall that they should be recessive white,but a great many carry the dominant white gene. Hatching a batch of eggs should tell you which your birds carry.

Fascinating. I must fire up the incubator again, for science! Too bad I can't tell my RIR eggs from the rocks eggs... Oh well. White is pretty too!

Any idea if the blue chicks from the black copper marans will have red on the hackle as adults?

Thanks!

Shameless bump with pic of my blue chicks as compensation:

Yes, there are turkeys too.

Thanks!
Sold this bunch to make room for some goslings, but will start collecting eggs again on Thursday, which is my "three weeks since banishing the mutt cockerel" day. Then, another test hatch for science!

Back
Top Bottom