Breeding Broilers

GreatBreeder

Crowing
Feb 11, 2017
BYC
Cornish Rocks. The name says it all right? Well no, it doesn't. Although it's likely, likely being a keyword, that there is a Cornish and a Rock somewhere in there, they must be suffocating in those breeds. Although White Rock could be plausible, they could use any broad breasted hen that could lay eggs for breeding. And White Cornish are very rare, so it would be difficult for them to really be in the common Cornish Cross. White Cornish are also pretty far in bloodline from other Cornish like the Dark. I've dedicated this thread for people here at BYC with vast knowledge and experience to help figure out how to make a Cornish Cross. Although it will be different from ones from commercial breeders like Ross, Hubbard, Cobb, etc, it will still be a fast growing bird that takes around the time other Cornish Cross grows. People can discuss all they like, but some key information I'm looking for is-
- An experience of someone who bred a standard White Cornish with a standard White Rock (individuals that meet or exceed their breed standards)
- Non-Cornish Cross broilers (fastest growing meat breeds) that could be used in the bloodline
- Anyone who has experiences with breeding Cornish Cross, having them lay fertile eggs and/or fertilizing eggs
- Anyone who knows of components of industrial Cornish Cross
- Anyone who proves me wrong, I might be wrong about all this, and I'd accept it.

PS with figuring out more about the Cornish Cross I have an idea about a rustic broiler

Step 1: Finding the Foundation Stock

The first generation of the breeding.
My Ideas-
- Modern Game
- Dark Cornish
- Malay
- Hmoob
- English Game

I would think that they DO include the White Cornish in there. Although rare, they aren't extinct. I think they are so rare because the commercial chicken industry has hoarded and cornered the market on them. I have 3 White Cornish chicks that I got from another member here, and he's been breeding them for years and sells them (when they are laying) to promote the breed. He gets them to great table size by (I think) 16 weeks, and he says they are proportionate all the way until that age as well, so earlier butchering just makes for a smaller (think Cornish Hen) carcass.

I've heard they are a mix of 4 different lines, bringing out the best of each line (like one has big breasts dominant mixed with big legs dominant equals both big). I would think they are (White Cornish over White Rock) over (White Cornish over Delaware), or some combination like that. This is a project I am also working on, and I now have WC, DC, Del and WR to play around and see what I can come up with.

I also just raised 9 Cornish Crosses, and I now have no illusions (or aspirations) about EVER being able to get my own birds to grow that quickly. But I would be extremely happy with 16 weeks!

Well thanks I didn't know that about White Cornish! I had a feeling delawares are in the breeding because they are a decent broiler. I could also throw a red broiler ir rosambro into the mix for a bit of rusticity, being a homemade cross. We could also restrict the feed on Cornish Crosses and use them as breeding stock with the others.

I've heard of Cornish Cross living to 2 years, JRNash, who I met on another thread, told me and taught me a lot about chickens. I made a post on that thread inviting the people there here.

Are you wanting to keep two breeds to cross for broilers or are you trying to build a bird that can self replicate?

Fat Daddy has a thread on his White Cornish.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-sustainable-flock-for-meat-and-more.1069243/

Here's a person attempting to standardize- breed true, cornishX and calls them toads. I've not read that entire thread but would assume a lot of breeding and careful selection went into each generation to get them to this point. They threw in Dixie Rainbow too. I don't know how many generations it is now past the initial 4 crossings. It could still be maturing faster due to hybrid vigor.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/toad-raising.1152440/

Personally I'd try and obtain some of Fat Daddy's Cornish and then a quality standard bred White Rock. If you've got the room that's two great breeds. One for eggs, one for meat and then cross them once or twice a year for broilers to fill the freezer. It would take a lot of space for something like that. Continue two standard breed lines is work. The occasional broilers would just go in a tractor or something so that's not too bad but to keep the breeds going takes a lot of space, coops and hatching to keep up the quality.

Yes, completely agreed on the amount of work and space it is going to take. I have 3 breeds going (Cornish, White Rock and Delaware), and each breed has 3 bloodlines. I'm only on gen. 2 and it is already a lot of work... I have 4 pens and a mobile coop, and they are all filled for over half the year.

And yes, Fat Daddy is where I got my White Cornish, and I'm going to strategically breed with my Dark Cornish to make my 3rd bloodline. He's a good guy and very knowledgeable about genetics. I'm sure he will chime in here soon!

Yes I know I'll use White Rocks and White Cornish. I'll probably contact Fat Daddy about those, I live in Dallas, Texas though.

Back
Top Bottom