Breeding Buff Leghorns

Quote:
16 additional chicks! That's a lot of babies LOL. I'm curious about what your cockerel to pullet ratio will be.

If the EE roo is the dad none of his offspring inherited his slate blue legs or his face muff but I think some will get his coloring which is pretty. There sure looks like a lot of variegated colors in the chicks - from light cream all the way to deep buff.

Chicks are such active wiggly little guys!

I wish I could get my pictures to load.
tongue.png

I never could figure how to load pics on BYC if it weren't for my tech-savvy DH. He set it up for me otherwise I could never figure how to load. There were like 6 or 7 steps to go through and in a certain order. Never could figure it out but hope you can get someone tech-savvy to help you out because we love photos.

Sadly last year we had to re-home our 3-year-old White Leg who was a wonderful and humane alpha even having a Silkie companion who loved to toodle around with her. She was an amazing White. However, she came out of her severe 3rd-year moult with very obnoxious behavior by pushing her flockmates out of nestboxes, jumping them or pushing them out of a prime dust-bath area, chasing the flock away from feed and treats, even her Silkie companion stayed far away from her while she exhibited growing aggressive behavior. She went out of her way to purposely pursue the other flock members. We gave her a chance to settle down and isolation was no help - she resumed her obnoxious behavior so she was re-homed into a friend's layer flock and has remained very assertive and top of the pecking order there. It was so sad after having THREE years of her gentle and humane alpha leadership.

Last month after a particularly long broody period of 6 weeks our year-old Buff Leg started aggressive behavior worse than even the White Leg. It surprised us because she was such a sweet pullet and we thought we got a gentle Buff. However, she came out of her broody with similar obnoxious behavior like the White Leg. She aggressively pursued the Silkies and Ameraucana (my avatar) to pull out their beards/muffs and crests. She basically went nuts. After the poor Amer was completely plucked bald of beard/muffs we had to regretfully re-home her into our friend's layer flock. She started to pursue members in that flock and was promptly pecked til her comb was bloody. Our friend isolated her with her Buff Leg sister (ordered together from a breeder) and with an EE in a separate pen and they are existing on equal terms.

Legs are a peculiarly assertive breed. I absolutely adore Legs in all varieties but they really cannot be mixed with gentler fowl. They are not shrinking violets and will establish themselves at the top of the pecking order or cannibalize non-combative breeds of Faverolles, EEs, Ameraucanas, Araucanas, Crevies, Polish, Cochins, etc. I really had hopes that the Buff Leg would be a gentler variety because of her Buff breed history but alas it wasn't to be. She is such a terrific layer of beautiful pink eggs too!

Hey, I know this is kinda a dead thread, but I didn't wanna start a new one/ I want this one back up again :p
Anyone know where to get a good, show quality, buff rose comb roo? I'd like homogeneous, but either would work. I want to take my good single comb hens and have a rose comb flock, so I won't have to worry as much about combs freezing.

Hey, I know this is kinda a dead thread, but I didn't wanna start a new one/ I want this one back up again :p
Anyone know where to get a good, show quality, buff rose comb roo? I'd like homogeneous, but either would work. I want to take my good single comb hens and have a rose comb flock, so I won't have to worry as much about combs freezing.

Go to post #840 in this Buff Leghorn thread (danhonour) and PM him with your question. Mr. Honour has spent decades with breeding the Buff Leghorn and other varieties and has written published articles. His Rose Comb Leg photos appear on the feathersite.com website. He should be able to offer some assistance with/or recommendation about obtaining Rose Comb stock. He has been most kind to respond to my queries.

Sadly last year we had to re-home our 3-year-old White Leg who was a wonderful and humane alpha even having a Silkie companion who loved to toodle around with her. She was an amazing White. However, she came out of her severe 3rd-year moult with very obnoxious behavior by pushing her flockmates out of nestboxes, jumping them or pushing them out of a prime dust-bath area, chasing the flock away from feed and treats, even her Silkie companion stayed far away from her while she exhibited growing aggressive behavior. She went out of her way to purposely pursue the other flock members. We gave her a chance to settle down and isolation was no help - she resumed her obnoxious behavior so she was re-homed into a friend's layer flock and has remained very assertive and top of the pecking order there. It was so sad after having THREE years of her gentle and humane alpha leadership.

Last month after a particularly long broody period of 6 weeks our year-old Buff Leg started aggressive behavior worse than even the White Leg. It surprised us because she was such a sweet pullet and we thought we got a gentle Buff. However, she came out of her broody with similar obnoxious behavior like the White Leg. She aggressively pursued the Silkies and Ameraucana (my avatar) to pull out their beards/muffs and crests. She basically went nuts. After the poor Amer was completely plucked bald of beard/muffs we had to regretfully re-home her into our friend's layer flock. She started to pursue members in that flock and was promptly pecked til her comb was bloody. Our friend isolated her with her Buff Leg sister (ordered together from a breeder) and with an EE in a separate pen and they are existing on equal terms.

Legs are a peculiarly assertive breed. I absolutely adore Legs in all varieties but they really cannot be mixed with gentler fowl. They are not shrinking violets and will establish themselves at the top of the pecking order or cannibalize non-combative breeds of Faverolles, EEs, Ameraucanas, Araucanas, Crevies, Polish, Cochins, etc. I really had hopes that the Buff Leg would be a gentler variety because of her Buff breed history but alas it wasn't to be. She is such a terrific layer of beautiful pink eggs too!

An update regarding my White Leg and Buff Leg being re-homed. The home I sent them to has also had to re-home them because of city ordinance. Not a problem! They went to a home that was new to chickens and was thrilled to have all the good layer Legs - my White Leg, my Buff Leg, her sister Buff Leg, plus 2 Cuckoo Marans, an Austra White, and an assertive EE - all excellent layers and all equally matched in temperament! I was very happy to see them all get a new and happy owner! These birds were all worth saving and to be re-homed as a unit.
ya.gif

Good to see this thread moving along again! I still have 4 of my buff girls. They are almost 3 years old now. I still have 1 EE over buff leghorn pullet. She has the buff coloring, and the slightest bit of a beard.
I'll have to see if I can catch a pic of her. She is Very flighty.

Good to see this thread moving along again! I still have 4 of my buff girls. They are almost 3 years old now. I still have 1 EE over buff leghorn pullet. She has the buff coloring, and the slightest bit of a beard.
I'll have to see if I can catch a pic of her. She is Very flighty.

Leghorns are an interesting breed in that they are dubbed as "flighty" but really what they are is "wary" or "alert" and do not seek or tolerate human touch or proximity except on their own terms. Then you might find them hopping into your lap or onto your arm or shoulder to take treats from you. A camera apparatus makes they very suspicious and they'll flee if you get too close with it in your hand. In fact most of my breeds flee when they see my little camera in hand yet if I have a bowl of treats they practically attack my hands to get to the food. Clever little lasses!

I agree with you. That's a much better description of them.
It doesn't help that she has been entirely free ranged. She has never Had to be in the same space with me, and will only come close at feeding time. She hasn't allowed me to touch her yet.

Back
Top Bottom