Breeding Cage

Chickie'sMoma :

Quote:
It sounds like they want to breed only this particular pair of birds.

i have a couple of boys who don't get along with each other so i keep them separated into breeding cages. i also live in a residential zone area (though the middle of my street it becomes industrial) and i am not supposed to have roos but the neighbors do not mind the quiet crowing from my insulated, cooled & heated garage. my boys do still get their time outside to forage in the leaves but once the crowing starts getting too loud i bring them inside. i only have 6 boys that are crowing and 4 of them are loud (one is a young d'uccle learning to crow and the other just doesn't crow often or very loud strangely
hu.gif
)

my girls stay outside in the main coop most of the time so they stay pure and when i want to breed a few girls i put them with a roo in the main breeding area where the rest of the roosters are kept penned.

i'm sure she also doesn't want to deal with AI as it isn't always easy to do, especially if you are new to doing it. and having a pen large enough to put a nice roo with one hen for a short time is less stress than having to fondle both birds to produce or receive. it also helps so you know which hen/pullet was the mom of certain eggs so you know the possible outcome of their crossing! especially if you are trying to eliminate possible defects in chicks passed through the parent birds.​

Thank you for your input. I'm just soo flustered
hu.gif
. I have too many breeds all together and I can't figure out a way to do this so, they are purebreds. I live in the country and thankfully there is nooo zoning at all on chickens where I live. So far it hasn't been too bad. I only have one 5 month old that got alittle too big for his britches and tried to show the big boy he was a big boy too.. Needless to say my 5 month old is no longer struttin his stuff and crowing. I think he got his feelings/pride hurt. But, my husband said if they continue we will maybe have to separate them.

I'm a chicken newbie but pretty good with logic, so here goes.

You do not have to keep your hen solo for 10 days, just away from the ROOSTERS for 10+ days. So, she can have other lady companions. You can even changee out which lady friend she spends the day with each day. Then when you are ready to intro the roo, take out her companions and send in the clown (I mean Roo).

Hope this is helpful.
Carol O.
P.S. As I am a newbie, if this logic does not apply to chickens, please let me know so I can update my chicken logic.
smile.png

Quote:
I have 5 Rooster of various breeds. I would like to breed my Lavender Orpingtons as a pair. Then my Rhode Island Reds, then my Australorps, then my speckled sussex, and then my americaunas. I like pure breds so, I really need to separate the hen for 4 days to make sure she has all the Roo sperm out then I will put the Rooster of her breed in with her daily till I get the eggs I need from her. Only way I can think of doing this is to put them in a cage.

Actually I think it is more like 2 weeks that a hen remains fertile after mating with a rooster.

I always thought 2 weeks also... but I think 10 days might do it..

The boy also doesn't have to be with the girls every day. I only have two silkie hens in my breeding pen and the boy is only with them once every few days so he has other girls to give his attention to and the girls have good hatch rates. Just incase you seperate them all to a breeding pen and find your roo constantly bugging them.

Back
Top Bottom