Breeding chicken with pendulous crop?

Josip

Crowing
Sep 20, 2019
Croatia
So my fav pullet have pendulous crop, she she have it since ever, she is an over eater and with time her crop become bigger it does empty during the night but when she eats crop hang a lot. My question is it possible to breed it out if i hatch some her eggs oneday?

Attachments

• IMG_20220626_202938.jpg
    IMG_20220626_202938.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 13
I wouldn't risk it
I will not for sure hatch 30 eggs out her maybe 2/3 i have small flock so i keep track genetic who is from who and ets. So i if her kids also have pendulus crop i will stop that line in my flock. But if she is just overeater and pendoulus crop is not in her genes and her kids are normal then i Will countinue breed her kids but not her... Thats plan

Bad plan. Genetic problems do not always show up in first generation, and in a small batch. 2 or 3 chicks turning out ok proves nothing. Your first goal as a breeder should be to breed healthy birds. Best to not breed any chicken that is not your very best bird. If this is a problem as a pullet, it will likely worsen as she gets older.

I will not for sure hatch 30 eggs out her maybe 2/3 i have small flock so i keep track genetic who is from who and ets. So i if her kids also have pendulus crop i will stop that line in my flock. But if she is just overeater and pendoulus crop is not in her genes and her kids are normal then i Will countinue breed her kids but not her... Thats plan
Okay, that sounds fair enough

Bad plan. Genetic problems do not always show up in first generation, and in a small batch. 2 or 3 chicks turning out ok proves nothing. Your first goal as a breeder should be to breed healthy birds. Best to not breed any chicken that is not your very best bird. If this is a problem as a pullet, it will likely worsen as she gets older.
I have had 10 generations before this pullet and all were fine, last year i lose some birds due to fox, so this pullet is last of that Line.. i know problem can show latter but i will keep track And only hatch few every year 😉

Back
Top Bottom