Breeding Cornish X Rocks

@lpatelski, i really love that cross you have of bam bam over a roaster. I will have to get some of those from you eventually! Leaving the states for a year, I will have to get back to you when I return. That Bam Bam is really extraordinary!

I must have a really good hen. She has never had a yolker yet. Even her doubles develop to about 16 days(these do not hatch though). She laid 6 double yolk eggs. The biggest problem with her eggs is some try to come out the small end and die. She lays 2 or more eggs every three days. I have hatched out 75% of her eggs and I would of hatched out more but I lost 10 of her eggs when my incubator failed. All of those white babies are hers from this season. She started laying in 7/15/15 of this year and stopped laying 10/16/15 I raised 35 chicks from her so far. She has the lavender gene. This is one of her daughters hatched on 8/26/15. Her oldest Roos are 8 pounds- hatched 8/20/15. Fertile, useful, I'm keeping her...and a few offspring. I forgot to mention the really nice Roo who fathered the chicks: BamBam is my purebred Dark Cornish and very fertile. His is out of show stock, a reject due to his overgrown pea-comb. But I am interested in meat.His prepotency throws bone and structure. Mom throws meat and appetite.
If you ever decide to sell eggs or some chicks,I'd love to get some. Bambam is a spectacular bird.I understand that the show guys have to have A standard,but to say he isn't worthy because of his comb a prime example of why I will never get into showing the birds.

I want to have a self sustaining population of fast growing meat birds. Meaning, they keep laying and hatching chicks and after 8 or so weeks I cull and eat them. Rinse, lather, repeat. A multitude of standardized egg-laying breeds, such as RIRs, Orps, etc., are readily available. There exists no standardized broiler chicken genetic package that can be reproduced true to type, available to the homesteader. All of the broiler chicks bought and sold in the U.S. are generated from hybridized parent stock that are under the proprietary control of large multinational corporations. I see Cornish X Rocks sold all over the place in almost every hatchery with a disclaimer that goes something like this:

"Cornish X Rocks are hybrids. Therefore we do not recommend breeding, they will not produce the same high quality in the next generation and due to the extreme rate of growth they will be too large at time of sexual maturity to breed successfully."

I do understand this, but I'd like to create these hybrids myself, instead of reordering chicks months after month. Is it possible? I'm sure it is b/c they do it, but I don't hear or read anything about people doing it themselves. What kinda of birds to I need exactly? Indian Game? White Plymouth Rocks? Does one breed need to be pullet and the other a roo? How is it done? Does anyone actually do this? I don't need to breed top quality hybrids, I just want to have some dependable meat birds clutch after clutch.

Please fill me in, enlighten me, and correct my misunderstandings here. I can't find much on this subject and want your expertise and knowledge on the matter.
It's possible I've seen it happen just keep ya a Cornish rock cross rooster back and keep him up in a chicken coop that way he's not east target for predators put ya a couple Rhode island red hens with him some black giants once the hens are laying Seperate him from them were they can set but if want still keep him safe I will tell you these birds can't fly when there grown but they can mate

I'm willing to go 12wks. I just want a good carcass.Right now I have welp slow broilers. I'm taking them to 12 weeks to get what a 6wk CX would weigh. I'm keeping back all the hens and a rooster. I also have,white giants,Dark Cornish,copper Marans,Dorkings,barred rocks,asil and Saipan. My goal is to build a sustainable utility bird. One with some of the characteristics of the CX. I will maintain my pure bloods,but I will be playing with some historically documented crosses. And a few of my own delusional musings

A few of the universities have meticulously documented crosses showing the results of hybrid vigor. What they DIDN'T Do, is continue the line for another generation to see how the hybrids rated to the pure bloods and parent hybrids

Last edited:
A few of the universities have meticulously documented crosses showing the results of hybrid vigor. What they DIDN'T Do, is continue the line for another generation to see how the hybrids rated to the pure bloods and parent hybrids
The cross of cornish rock chickens over other heavy breeds are great decreases size a little bit but still gives you some heavy birds but you ever let a Cornish rock live to maturity stage craziest crow you've ever heard sounds more like a roar then a crow

I have a 14 week old asil named "Lucky"He is a house chicken. Caged of course.:) anyhow, he makes noises I've never heard a chicken make. From a chirp, to a turkey like bark,to a thrilling noise when he is happy.
He doesn't like the geese getting near me.

I don't expect non CX or crossed CX to grow as a CX. I do like the body structure though.
it's really good to decrease the size because the Cornish rocks at full size cannot fly the rooster my dad had I would have to get in the pen with him at night to set him on a little gate we had in his pen were he wouldn't freeze sleeping on the ground he flogged first couple times but after few times putting him in his place he quit

Back
Top Bottom