Breeding different color marans...what will I get?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by crazy4eggsJulie, Jun 20, 2009.

1. crazy4eggsJulie

crazy4eggsJulie Songster

Mar 15, 2009
    New to the chicken world and interested in marans. Know NOTHING about genetics.

If I have a Black Copper Marans Roo in a run with a cuckoo, blue, splash, black, and golden cuckoo hen what will the chicks be from each hen?

Thanks!

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    the blue, black and splashes may or may not show the copper markings on the chicks. The golden cuckoo, her rooster babies will be single barred gened golden cuckoo, the pullets will be copper black looking. Feather legs are dominant.

3. crazy4eggsJulie

crazy4eggsJulie Songster

Mar 15, 2009
    Thank you! That was most helpful!

4. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Hey, add on question! I have one of those single barred gene golden cuckoo cockerels. I also have two 'true' golden cuckoo pullets and several silver cuckoos. Is this cockerel worth keeping and breeding to the girls and with the known genetics, what should I expect for offspring color patterns?

5. blackdotte

blackdotte Songster

Nov 18, 2008
    BC X Cuckoo = Cuckoo males,Black pullets
    BC X Blue = 50% each Black & Blue
    BC X Splash = 100% Blue
    BC X Golden Cuckoo = Golden Cuckoo males,BC pullets
    Heteozygous Golden Cuckoo X Golden Cuckoo = 25% each heterozygous & homozygous Golden Cuckoo males, Golden Cuckoo pullets & Red/gold Duckwing pullets
    David

6. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Hi David,

Thanks for the info!

7. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Songster

Heteozygous Golden Cuckoo X Golden Cuckoo = 25% each heterozygous & homozygous Golden Cuckoo males, Golden Cuckoo pullets & Red/gold Duckwing pullets

Why red/gold duckwing? Where did the e+ come from?​

8. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Crowing

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    And since most of those are outside the BC group - consistent egg color loss.

9. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Songster

And since most of those are outside the BC group - consistent egg color loss

What makes you say that?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: