Breeding different quail - Need schooling...

sniper338

Songster
9 Years
Dec 15, 2013
San Antonio, Texas
I read a thread somewhere that explained it, but I cant find it again...

I would like to know what to breed together to make different colored birds...

I have my brown coturnix separated from my A&M coturnix right now... but I was wanting to educate myself of breeding what together makes what.... Can anyone help?

James, that link showed pictures.... but I could see anything that explained breeding bird a to bird b gives you a probability of bird c kinda thing.... like breeding english to tiberian gives tuxedos...
Here is a quick runthrough of a few colors and a the deal on a&ms

Consider most "A&M" birds you get to be standard sized white coturnix with a pharaoh colored speck on their heads. True A&Ms are hard to come by and the only place I can think of that has them is JMF. A&Ms were bred by texas am as project. Basically the short story is they wanted big white jumbos so they bred for them. Most birds I see with the a&m look are nowhere near related to those university birds, most of them I see would barely go 10 ounces fully grown, whereas A&M birds are known to reach 16oz+ (probably about 13 oz average). So basically A&M has just become a color name for white birds with a pharaoh spot on the head. For color breeding purposes they can be interchanged with the English whites.

Pharaoh x white will generate brown birds with recessive white (cross two recessive white pharaohs and you get some pharaoh chicks some a&m)

Tibetan/rosetta/golden x white will give you the respective tuxedo

Golden Manchurian x pharaoh will give you gold speckled birds

Gold speckled x golden will take some of the darker specks out of the birds but you still get goldens of a sort

Gold speckled x pharaoh will give you goldens but with more speckles.

There are a lot more variations and a lot more color mutations out there but these are most common. There are genetic calculators on the web but they require you to know what the genes of both parents are, basically you have to make a punnet square for each bird you are trying to cross and they tell you what you would end up with.

Back
Top Bottom