"Breeding discussion - When to and when not to breed"

Quote:
SQ parents CAN, MAYBE give you SQ off spring, but they WILL also give PQ and BQ as well. This is why hatchlings are grown out and accessed each year.

No-one can promise a newly hatched duck or goslings or chicken is a SQ bird, if they i would think long and hard before buying.

Examples from our Khaki flock. The cull has since been processed.

Breeder Drakes (8 months old left and 2 year old right):
  • dark bill
  • well marked head and neck...even tone, straight defined line between head coloration and neck to lower body coloration
  • Both have good legs and feet, orange in color

Cull drake below:
  • yellow bill
  • elongated markings coming to a point down the neck compared to even (straight) across on the drake above

Breeder duck
  • SQ 2 year old female
  • little to no lacing of the feathers
  • dark even toned bill
  • medium bodied, even carriage
  • feathers that resemble dead leaves in coloration

Coloration of Khaki campbells is quickly noticeable at hatch if they are going to have a dark bill or a yellow bill. This makes sorting your keepers for growing out from your pet birds for sale an easy task. As with all birds you have to grow them out to know the final type, no way around it.

Last edited:
This thread was permitted to be reopened for discussing breeding techniques, as the topic has a lot of value for those new to breeding. Please remember to be respectful of differing opinions - not everyone is going to agree 100% of the time, but it needs to be civil. No attacking, fighting or name calling. If you see a post breaking the rules, do not respond to it - simply report it.

Last edited:
Celtic, in post 12, you picture a "good" drake and a "cull." For we duck newbs, it would be super helpful if you listed the cull points so we can compare them right alongside the pics. I have a pretty good eye for chickens, but not waterfowl - I'd like to begin training my eye! Thanks!

Celtic, in post 12, you picture a "good" drake and a "cull." For we duck newbs, it would be super helpful if you listed the cull points so we can compare them right alongside the pics. I have a pretty good eye for chickens, but not waterfowl - I'd like to begin training my eye! Thanks!
I think she had mentioned the bill being olive green on that drake making him a cull.

Wynette.....happy to point it out. Just got home so will go edit it now for you.

Back
Top Bottom