Breeding ducks.

QueenDuck

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 30, 2012
I have two Ayelsbury ducks and I want to get a different breed for my new incubator. I was thinking about Miniature Silver Appleyards but they may mate and then when or if they hatch they will be crossed. Now if i decide that I want to sell my ducks or eggs I don't think a cross breed between Ayelsbury and Miniature Silver Apleyards would be very popular. Eventually, In want to start breeding Mandarins when I make enough money from the ducks. I know that the Mandarins can't breed with other breeds of ducks so that will be fine. I just need to get enough money together. I could put them in different runs but I don't want to use up loads of my nans land. Even if i did put them in different runs, I would like them to be let out every day but as I don't live there I think it would be unfair on my nan having to let them both out at different times.
Is there anything I can do to make sure the two different breeds mix and produce a mix?
Thanks!
hugs.gif

Mandarins will have to housed in a fully enclosed flight pen/aviary or they will fly away.

All other ducks should be free ranged seperately and housed seperately to keep them from cross breeding.

Are your referring to Mandarins or Domestic Ducks? Trust me if you have Drakes of one another breed they will defiantly breed your ducks.

Yes, mandarins seem to cost quite a bit of money.I just went out and bought a pond today for my ducks. It's not very big, just about 1 meter by 1.9 meters. I don't really have the time to let them all out separately as I don't live there. :( if I didn't let them out how big would their run need to be? If this couldn't work in anyway then I would have to try and work something out. If I did eventually get the mandarins then I would DEFIANTLY keep them inside an aviary.

They don't need to be separated all the time, right? Only when you're going to be hatching them, and a few weeks beforehand.
If you only sell one breed (or one at a time) then you could have that breed in a big run, or even just those birds that you are actively breeding, and let the rest out together.

I agree, they don't need to be separate all the time. I only have one breed, but like to choose the best ones to breed for hatching. SO, I set up a breeding pen in the spring. I recently started a thread asking how long they would have to be separate and the answer given me was about 3 weeks. I have since then come across that info somewhere else too, I think in a book but not sure. SO, that is what I did, just three weeks with the ducks that you want to hatch eggs from grouped appropriately, then however long it takes you to collect enough hatching eggs after that of course. I have eggs hatching in a few weeks, so I guess I will find out if it worked or not! Good Luck!

Hmm, yes i don't think they will need to be separate all the time. But for now I think I just stick with Ayelsburys. I just bought some eggs yesterday and waiting for them to come through the post. But if i do decide to get all different breeds then i will certainly take all of the ideas into account :)

Just had a thought! If I did eventually get different breed wouldn't the ones in the run get jealous? If the other ones were wondering about the farm and the ones i wanted to breed with were stuck in a run all the time. I'm quite new to ducks so i don't really know! :S

Haha, probably, but it wouldn't be for long! You could also let them out at different times, but if it's too much hassle, then I wouldn't worry about it. They will survive and then play happily with the others after they are done in the breeding run =)

You could still let the guys out. Depending on how zealous they've been, the ladies may be thankful to be "stuck" in the run by themselves for a while!

Back
Top Bottom