Breeding experiments with colored rangers- who to cross?

beanmcnulty

Songster
8 Years
Feb 10, 2011
Baltimore, OH
I have been dreaming up an idea for a colored ranger experiment- and I have a few questions for those that have crossed these guys before:
1. Is it better to keep the hens or a roo for the first cross (or both to each other)? I am seeing different folks give different opinions on this, my first thought was to keep hens since they will not get as big and not have difficulty breeding. I would like to use my Del roos for the first cross to the ranger hens, but maybe not? I do not want to go through the trouble of restricting feed on a few birds.

2. If bred to a DP breed (ie nice Del strain), how long to get to 5 pound live weight? Or how much longer than the ranger's 10 weeks (or shorter than the Del's 16)? Would it be smack in he middle- like 13?

3. If bred to each other, do the rangers have a longer than 10 week grow out? Again I do not want to save a roo if it means I must restrict feed so it might be moot.

Thanks ahead of time!

I have eggs in the incubator right now that are fr hens about a year old and leghorn rooster about the same age, I didn't plan on this but I had the eggs so figured we would see what happens.

I have't done it myself, but I am planning to and have read about it fot quite some time. So I can only give you my opinions and no facts, but I think you've got a nice try at accomplishing your goals with this approach. To answer your questions: I think the growing speed will be around the middle (but a little towards the Dell) and that you don't ave to restrict the food, because the normal food intake is more dominant (but because of this you will loose some mass). Breeding the rangers among each other will give probably more ranger-like offspring, but with a lot more variation, as they are terminal products of probably a four line breeding program. So breeding it to a well selected DP breed will give more similar results (I think).

Back
Top Bottom