Breeding for Pink

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MEMama3, Oct 7, 2013.

1. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I really want to breed for a truly pink egg. I'm not sure if select breeding in one breed is the best option (EX: always choosing the best pink egg layers from salmon faverolles) or if hybrid breeding is the best option (EX: breeding faverolles and maybe isa or a pink egg laying ee). Anyone have any suggestions? Do you know where egg color falls in the genetic makeup?

2. TNchickies

TNchickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    A PINK egg?

no comments....[​IMG] But that is pretty awesome! keep up with the good work! [​IMG]

3. luckybrie

luckybrie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2013
    Yes! I have no advice for you, as I am a "newbie". How exciting!!! Please keep us all posted on your progress. Good Luck [​IMG]

4. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I'm thinking of doing a hybrid of two breeds. I will select a dozen the best colored eggs from each breed to hatch (number them with the lowest number being the pinkest). After these chicks have matured, I will keep the lowest number cockerals and switch them so cockeral from breed 1 is with hens from breed 2 (only three of the best represented hens) and vice versa. If I keep doing the best and swap pattern then there should be no inbreeding issues and it will create a more pure pink.

I'll let you know how it goes. If anyone has further suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by