Breeding for Pink

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MEMama3, Oct 7, 2013.

1. MEMama3

MEMama3 Songster

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I really want to breed for a truly pink egg. I'm not sure if select breeding in one breed is the best option (EX: always choosing the best pink egg layers from salmon faverolles) or if hybrid breeding is the best option (EX: breeding faverolles and maybe isa or a pink egg laying ee). Anyone have any suggestions? Do you know where egg color falls in the genetic makeup?

2. TNchickies

TNchickies Chirping

Oct 7, 2013
    A PINK egg?

no comments....[​IMG] But that is pretty awesome! keep up with the good work! [​IMG]

3. luckybrie

luckybrie In the Brooder

Sep 20, 2013
    Yes! I have no advice for you, as I am a "newbie". How exciting!!! Please keep us all posted on your progress. Good Luck [​IMG]

4. MEMama3

MEMama3 Songster

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I'm thinking of doing a hybrid of two breeds. I will select a dozen the best colored eggs from each breed to hatch (number them with the lowest number being the pinkest). After these chicks have matured, I will keep the lowest number cockerals and switch them so cockeral from breed 1 is with hens from breed 2 (only three of the best represented hens) and vice versa. If I keep doing the best and swap pattern then there should be no inbreeding issues and it will create a more pure pink.

I'll let you know how it goes. If anyone has further suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

ZurcherFarms likes this.
  5. ZurcherFarms

ZurcherFarms Songster

Jan 9, 2018
    Hello!
    I was thinking of the same thing in regarding for breeding for pink and came across this old post. Were you successful? Did the birds after a few generations lay consistently pink shades?

I'm interested in doing the same or partnering with some others in order to create genetic diversity, by trading roosters or eggs, ect...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: