BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Isn't that what this thread is all about?  At least that's the impression I got from reading the first post put up by RON.

[...]  

This is exactly what the thread was intended for.
"...Turk is exactly right. It’s for new people to ask questions and be treated with respect...not shuffled off to another thread."

Quote:
I would settle for a synapsis of dressed weight/slaughter age/feed regimen/ management method (ie tractor, pen, day-ranged, etc). Gosh, I feel like I'm asking a really big favor, but I would appreciate it.
hide.gif

Oh and temperament. I'd appreciate feedback on the Cackle DC temperament

M

I can see from your post that you're just voicing a frustration and not actively seeking a certain breed but it resonated with me.

M
I had intended to work with old-fashioned breeds. Tried sussex, wyandotte, new hamps, welsummers and so on. I kept barred rocks for years. Just hatchery birds, but there is a lot I like about them. But I don't have the space to maintain too many separate flocks, and when the olive-egger bug bit me, I decided to see what I can do with them. Maybe enhance any traits similar to what I liked best about barred rocks. Reading about heritage breed preservation and reconstruction is really helpful in directing my focus. And also helped me realize it's better not to get spread out too much or I'll just end up a chicken collector, breeding mutts, instead of working to improve my own version of a good laying hen.

Who knows though. I may end up making room for another flock someday, when i can do it right.

@seventreesfarm I feel your pain. I really do. Most of what gjensen has mentioned I have experienced first hand in my search for a good starting point. I have thought I found just what I was looking for a couple of times only to find out details of the breed that were deal breakers for me~ thankfully I am not rushed to purchase stock. Ultimately I wrote down what were needs and what were wants.....figured out what needed to be an existing trait of the strain and what I might be able to breed into it or breed towards over time. It's been.....interesting. I had no idea I'd want so much involvement in chickens of all things, lol. Part of me envies those that just buy the Cornish Cross twice a year to raise up and slaughter in all of 7 weeks but ultimately I am very excited to integrate poultry into our source of homegrown goodness and I think I'll enjoy the successes and failures of breeding.

The breeders that list their strains faults are the ones I would trust the most.

I can see from your post that you're just voicing a frustration and not actively seeking a certain breed but it resonated with me.

M
It is certainly more practical to buy layers for a laying flock, and meat birds for meat. It would cost less money. There is no getting around that. Then you would be hard pressed to produce them for less than what you could buy it.

That runs contrary to my independent nature though. I like the idea of having some independence. I also like to do things myself. Most of all, I enjoy the birds.

There is something about the challenge that appeals to me. I have been playing around with poultry for 20 years with a couple breaks. I have had the sex links, I have experimented with misc. crosses. I have played with some hatchery birds etc. I came to a place to where I wanted to try and do a little more.
All of that time, I did not realize how rare quality examples were. Then in time, I realized how much more rare quality examples were that were also productive. Having both in a single bird is not especially common.

I took a few turns, and will take a few more. I do not have a save the poultry world mentality. They are just chickens, and contrary to popular belief, there is still an amazing amount of genetic diversity in chickens. But . . . if I am going to keep them, and pay their feed, I am going to try to do something with them.

About five years ago, you could not find a good New Hampshire to save your life. I know, I looked for years. A man named Joe brought some here from Germany that are very nice looking examples. They have great size, and are pretty good layers. I had looked and played with NHs trying to find something worth working with for years. I finally stumbled across some birds that I really wanted to try.
I have two things against them. Though they get to a great size, @ 12-14 wks they have too much feather. They are an exhibition strain. Nothing wrong with that, and I like that about them. I only want to see them get to a decent weight in a reasonable amount of time. I had been working on that. Also width and depth. A NH is not especially long, but they should be broad and deep. I made some progress.
Another point is the size of their eggs. They are decent layers. I want a little better, but for an exhibition strain, they are very good. I just wish their eggs were larger. They are medium large. I want to see them large and extra large. Big birds should lay big eggs. They should make up for some of what they lack in qty (compared to smaller and lighter breeds) with total weight of eggs. My focus has not been on this point specifically yet. I di not see it a priority immediately, but started an effort to fix that.
If I am successful in teasing out another 20 eggs, removing two weeks from the time they are ready to process, and adding a little egg size, while keeping the quality where it is (maybe a little better) . . . then they will be worth something to me. Quality examples that are useful.
Progress has been made, but more progress needs to be made.

The Catalana project is new, but it has captured my attention. The birds sold me. Of all the birds I have ever had, these are the best farm birds of them all. They would be the last to go. The characteristics other than what you see in a picture is what captured my attention, and still has it. I have never had any birds like these.
I think that I am a couple generations away from saying that these are it, for me. I am going to cheat and hatch spring and fall.

The Catalana project is new, but it has captured my attention. The birds sold me. Of all the birds I have ever had, these are the best farm birds of them all. They would be the last to go. The characteristics other than what you see in a picture is what captured my attention, and still has it. I have never had any birds like these.
I think that I am a couple generations away from saying that these are it, for me. I am going to cheat and hatch spring and fall.
It's so fun to undertake that kind of adventure. Like you said, there is still quite a lot of genetic variety in chickens, so why not see where you can get it to go. Being in a warmer climate sure makes a fall hatch much easier too. I'll have to do some reading about your chosen breed, as I haven't really before.

I also tried new hamps, and realized that they needed a lot of work to get them where I wanted. They were from good lines, and nice looking, but not a project that really hooked me.

@gjensen It's not about money, but I think you know that. If I was more economical I would also just buy all my veggies. But I wouldn't trade sinking my hands into soil for the world. It is more real when it comes from your own labors.
smile.png
This chicken business is many things to me~ it brings things to a level I have been yearning for for years.

Interesting about the NH, I had no idea they were new vogue so to speak. There must be a balance in fast to flesh and too fast to flesh, isn't there? Very fast growth would require greater resources but too slow is also a strain on resources.

I covet your Catalana, lol...pretty sure you know that too. I would be sick with worry if they were what I learned on but perhaps they are in my future.

You are a great, level-headed, experienced voice for this thread. I hope you continue to find reasons to contribute.

M

Last edited:
Here is a photo of some of our breeding pens devoted to Minorcas. Not a great photo unfortunately. I have incubated about 200 eggs so far from 5 different breeding s.

Back
Top Bottom