BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Yes - this is my reason as well. If I can get my act together, I'll be trying it out this weekend.

I already have a couple cones (chicken and XL or turkey size) - I am often culling younger cockerels, but I agree, the few times I tried the "regular sized" one with an older bigger bird, they barely fit. @Pensmaster uses feed sacks - he cuts out one corner, and put the head through that and the sack is tied and suspended. He says it works very well. That would allow for any size bird. (If you're like me, you have a lot of feed sacks...)

- Ant Farm

I tried using one of my extra feed sacks, but they're made out of recyclable paper and just didn't work well. I've seen some of the sturdier material used by other feed manufacturers, but I'm not buying a different feed just to get the sack, LOL!

I have a couple of different size cones, but most fit in a kitty litter jug better. I use screws w/large washers to hold it
Beekissed uses 2 gal bleach bottles

Attachments

• KIMG0002 (1).JPG
    KIMG0002 (1).JPG
    436.7 KB · Views: 10
OK, so I culled twelve 12-week-old cockerels in 4-1/2 hours today (skinned them, so went fast). And WOW - using that Husky flexible tube cutter was SO easy and wonderful! I don't have large hands, and in addition, their strength isn't great right now due to some flaring carpal tunnel. But I had no problem decapitating in one stroke. For fully feathered birds, there was always a strip of skin left in the front (which was good - if you hold the head away from the severed neck at an angle, there's more bleed out). For Naked Necks, full decapitation. Haven't used it on an older bird yet, but this was so astonishingly effortless that I'm sure it will work for them as well. (I need a nap.)

@DesertChic

Oh, and at first I used a cone (what I'm used to) - but with decapitation, which I'm not as familiar with, I was ASTONISHED at how vigorous, strong, and lengthy their flapping and kicking lasted after the head was off. In fact, as I was skinning them, I could see that the meat had small bruising where it was against the cone, and for one very vigorous one, a dislocated shoulder!!!!! So for the last few, I used a feed sack instead, and no bruising to the meat.

Oh, and at first I used a cone (what I'm used to) - but with decapitation, which I'm not as familiar with, I was ASTONISHED at how vigorous, strong, and lengthy their flapping and kicking lasted after the head was off. In fact, as I was skinning them, I could see that the meat had small bruising where it was against the cone, and for one very vigorous one, a dislocated shoulder!!!!! So for the last few, I used a feed sack instead, and no bruising to the meat.
Interesting. Any clue why they struggle more with decapitation vs slitting the throat?

I honestly don't know. But I suspect that whatever it is runs its course while they are bleeding out (and therefore aware), so there is less "left" after they die.

Now I'm gonna go look it up...
Let me know what you find. I'm trying to find the easiest and quickest way to kill a bird for consumption.

Let me know what you find. I'm trying to find the easiest and quickest way to kill a bird for consumption.

I understand from vets that decapitation or cervical dislocation are the most quick, "humane" ways to do so, apparently (shortest/least pain). The flapping, etc., is a nerve impulse thing, not anything the chicken feels - it just freaks us out. Bleeding out comes in after that. I've always done the bleeding out before, but 1) it takes a while, and they are still alert and looking at you, and 2) if you don't make the cut right or your knife isn't sharp enough, it can be a horrible experience to keep slashing at their neck while they are conscious.

The things I found on a quick search say it's left over nerve impulses. That makes sense to me. Some invoke leaving the brainstem behind. I don't think I cut that high, but it's possible I did for some. I'll need to remember to cut on the low-ish side next time.

In the end, even though I'm not a big "softie" about it, it was super easy, I didn't have to fuss about aiming for the right part of the neck or have to make more than one cut ever, and it makes it easier on me when it's over so quickly for the bird, and the flapping is just interesting/odd, not disturbing (to me). In practical terms, I was able to start processing/skinning and cleaning sooner, so the time from kill to chill was shorter (which is also good). If I had a helper and/or was experienced with an axe, I'd do that - this was easier.

I understand from vets that decapitation or cervical dislocation are the most quick, "humane" ways to do so, apparently (shortest/least pain). The flapping, etc., is a nerve impulse thing, not anything the chicken feels - it just freaks us out. Bleeding out comes in after that. I've always done the bleeding out before, but 1) it takes a while, and they are still alert and looking at you, and 2) if you don't make the cut right or your knife isn't sharp enough, it can be a horrible experience to keep slashing at their neck while they are conscious.

The things I found on a quick search say it's left over nerve impulses. That makes sense to me. Some invoke leaving the brainstem behind. I don't think I cut that high, but it's possible I did for some. I'll need to remember to cut on the low-isa side next time.

In the end, even though I'm not a big "softie" about it, it was super easy, I didn't have to fuss about aiming for the right part of the neck or have to make more than one cut ever, and it makes it easier on me when it's over so quickly for the bird, and the flapping is just interesting/odd, not disturbing (to me). In practical terms, I was able to start processing/skinning and cleaning sooner, so the time from kill to chill was shorter (which is also good). If I had a helper and/or was experienced with an axe, I'd do that - this was easier.
Oh, goodness. I'll probably go with decapitation, then, because I am much too wussy to have them watching me while I slit their throat.

I've done cervical dislocation before, and it seemed as close to instantaneous as it can get. The flapping is a bit freaky but I can tell by the way they're moving that it isn't a conscious struggle to get away.

Back
Top Bottom