BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Make sure you get the right type. I searched all over and there are so many different ones it's confusing. I got these specific ones based on @lpatelski 's recommendation, not sure other types would necessarily work as well. MANY of then are ratcheting (advance the blade a little bit with each squeeze) and you don't want that. These are at Home Depot - they were about $15.

Yes, you can get replacement blades. Now that this has gone so well, I think I'm going to order some to have on hand. (But the last cut was as sharp as the first, so hoping they wouldn't dull quickly).

I'm thinking this would be easier than a lopper because you don't need to deal with the long handles...

- Ant Farm
does this look like the right one? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Flexible-Tube-Cutter-99518/206743941
I do not see the blades for this model, just the ratcheting blades

long handles were good at first because I had it and was a wuss , didn't want to get personal to the 4 sweet cx hens LOL .. :hit
but now that I have a dozen under my belt and it's obnoxious hormonal cockerels that pull their heads up the cone this would work... I have a ratcheting one that is dull from years of plumbing use that I would like to use on some of those bad boys :mad:

Hmm... I may have to try this... I have always preferred not cutting the heads off when I butcher but might try it... I imagine this would be too small for turkeys?

@Fire Ant Farm - Okay, I'm convinced. Next trip to the hardware store I'm buying a pair of those pipe cutters.

And yes, all that flapping is the last fight or flight message that was sent from the brain to the body. The chicken doesn't have time to register any pain. My mother-in-law used to revel in sharing her stories of having her sons cut of the chickens' heads and then watch the bodies run around the yard headless until there was no signal left. I've witnessed that once.
I get all that, I'm just curious as to the difference due to methods of killing.

With the cervical dislocation, they ran around and flopped for about 10 seconds before stopping and twitching for a bit longer.

does this look like the right one? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Flexible-Tube-Cutter-99518/206743941
I do not see the blades for this model, just the ratcheting blades

long handles were good at first because I had it and was a wuss , didn't want to get personal to the 4 sweet cx hens LOL .. :hit
but now that I have a dozen under my belt and it's obnoxious hormonal cockerels that pull their heads up the cone this would work... I have a ratcheting one that is dull from years of plumbing use that I would like to use on some of those bad boys :mad:

Yup, that's it. I like being closer because you can be sure their head/neck are in the correct position more easily.

I could have sworn I saw the blades somewhere online, but can't find them now. The blade is reversible, so you can flip it to double the life. I may contact the manufacturer and see if I can get the blades that way.

Hmm... I may have to try this... I have always preferred not cutting the heads off when I butcher but might try it... I imagine this would be too small for turkeys?

I'm not sure - it's surprising how skinny chicken necks are - while I know turkeys are larger, is their neck a lot bigger around? I suppose you could try to find a similar non-ratcheting cutter with a bigger diameter (they come in larger sizes, eg, 2 inches)...

- Ant Farm

I tried the bleed out my first time and I thought it took too long it seemed cruel to me because the bird was conscious. I like the quick decapitation it seems kinder. With the turkeys we use a feed sack around the body and a bit of duct tape to snug it up so they cannot flap too much, turkeys are strong flappers and blood goes everywhere. With the chickens we just lay them on a tarp and wait a minute or two, then hang them by the feet for plucking.

Processed 25, 14 week roos today... Took 2 hours and then we parted them all. I am so pleased with the quality of the birds. Processing really helps me understand what confirmation is most ideal. Perfect livers... gizzards just slightly fatty. New feeding regimen saved me money and birds were super healthy.

I still use cones, and only cut the arteries. The primary reason being to make sure they completely drain. They were always empty in less than 1 minute. Keeping the nervous system intact does not mean they are conscious, but it does keep the heart pumping to clear the blood.

I just skimmed quick, recent posts, not used to this format yet but like it.
I always decapitated, thought it was better, instant death. Used loppers, tree hedge whatever, worked good. Almost got a pair of the pvc cutters? someone posted here until DW realized what I wanted them for, and $$ "NO!" bet they work good though.
Last couple big culls I just sliced the jugulars like some do here. IMHO much better. Just did a naked neck rooster this morning, wish I took pics on my process but I was pressed for time. Will do next time cause I am really liking my new method.
Cone sheet rock screwed into a 55gal plastic barrel with a big garbage bag inside. Put bird in cone, don't forget to tape the feet together with electric or duct tape!
Pull the head down and just nice easy swipe of a sharp fillet knife cuts right through both jugulars, then walk away. Don't have to watch it, takes but a little bit, bleeds out great and doesn't take long at all. Motionless at first then one short death shake, and you'll get that even with a complete decapitation.

Then I come back and take the head off with game shears.
Now for the tips, think it helps big time to soak, rinse the bird with a hose, cleans them up, cleaner scalding water and plucking, and I think it takes the dunk in the scalding water much quicker with a already soaked wet bird, much nicer skin.
I'm really thinking off going completely naked neck after this morning. Before, this last summer I only have done young ones and some were Nn. This one was big and so easy, I can't, do not want to pluck a regular chicken again :lau
And NO HAIR!!!:yesss:

Cutting board fits on top of the barrel, plucking, gutting goes into the barrel, remove bag, no mess.

20170521_Matthew.jpg
Matthew the Skunk
Breeding: 7/8 Dark Cornish & 1/8 CX
DOH: 10/01/2016

700187-c964db553e910c0b849f44d76f68e7e4.jpg
700281-69edb58d0719b45e1f36715dbd25ca63.jpg

update at 33 weeks:
698601-1c9f219df03d4afdcbf0da3fa6c1bae2.jpg

Attachments

• download (2).jpg
    download (2).jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 1000.jpg
    1000.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I shoot in the head then decapitate.

Not all nerves start in the brain, some of the fight or flight, bypass the brain entirely and start and stop in the spinal ganglia. (allowing for quicker processing time, quicker reaction time)

I just skimmed quick, recent posts, not used to this format yet but like it.
I always decapitated, thought it was better, instant death. Used loppers, tree hedge whatever, worked good. Almost got a pair of the pvc cutters? someone posted here until DW realized what I wanted them for, and $$ "NO!" bet they work good though.
Last couple big culls I just sliced the jugulars like some do here. IMHO much better. Just did a naked neck rooster this morning, wish I took pics on my process but I was pressed for time. Will do next time cause I am really liking my new method.
Cone sheet rock screwed into a 55gal plastic barrel with a big garbage bag inside. Put bird in cone, don't forget to tape the feet together with electric or duct tape!
Pull the head down and just nice easy swipe of a sharp fillet knife cuts right through both jugulars, then walk away. Don't have to watch it, takes but a little bit, bleeds out great and doesn't take long at all. Motionless at first then one short death shake, and you'll get that even with a complete decapitation.

Then I come back and take the head off with game shears.
Now for the tips, think it helps big time to soak, rinse the bird with a hose, cleans them up, cleaner scalding water and plucking, and I think it takes the dunk in the scalding water much quicker with a already soaked wet bird, much nicer skin.
I'm really thinking off going completely naked neck after this morning. Before, this last summer I only have done young ones and some were Nn. This one was big and so easy, I can't, do not want to pluck a regular chicken again :lau
And NO HAIR!!!:yesss:

Cutting board fits on top of the barrel, plucking, gutting goes into the barrel, remove bag, no mess.
Once you go naked you don't go back!!!!! lol lol lol

Back
Top Bottom