BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. bramblefir

bramblefir Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    Oregon
    Just a quick update on the pullets with bumblefoot: It seems to be resolving on its own. Both girls have new, normal scales growing where the black scabs were previously. Which is fantastic for me because puss and morning sickness don't mix well. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. gevshiba

gevshiba Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2012

If you are ordering hatching eggs, I might be interested in splitting an order with you, I'm also in N TX. I'd be wanting a different breed than you. Also, depending on where you are, we have a local dairy with raw cow (Jersey) and goat milk. You can message me if you want. I may also be ordering eggs from Country Hatchery and picking them up, rather than shipping.

3. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    I prefer to get poults since hatching eggs are such a gamble after the post office has played hockey with them and my incubators really need to be full of chicken eggs.

4. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama

5. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I know this will be off topic of actually breeding, but I'm hoping someone has more knowledge about this than myself. We keep our freezer in the basement which is all concrete and no heat. There was a cord across the floor because we only have one outlet at the moment (the basement is newer, it used to be a crawl space) Anyhow, within the past week someone must have kicked the cord and it came partially unplugged. We had about 50 pounds of beef in there that completely thawed. It does not smell rancid, in fact it smells almost like deer meat as it's being cut. I guess, fairly fresh is the term I may be looking for here. Anyways, I'm wondering if it's still ok to feed to the dogs. Is there as much risk to them as there would be to a person? This is the first (and hopefully) last time something like this has happened and I just can't see it all going to waste if I can avoid it. I guess worse case scenario I toss it out back for coyotes, but I'd rather not give them a reason to visit my yard with free range chickens. Any suggestions?

6. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Well....[​IMG]

I've had a freezer get unplugged like that before. It wasn't so long that it was getting bad, so we plugged it back in an re-froze it. We used it for ourselves, just being sure that it was cooked more "well-done" than I'd usually do. No one has been hurt by it yet!

If I was giving it to the dogs, I'd probably cook it for them. Not optimal for their health, I know. But I'd just want to be double-sure unless they could eat it all right away.

7. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Our dogs go hunting the cow pastures around here and bring home cow parts that have been laying the in fields for a month or more and eat them. And they are healthy and fine.

8. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Do you know how long your freezer was unplugged? Was it completely thawed? We sadly only have a general idea. I left it outside last night so it could refreeze while we cleaned up the mess and let the freezer cool down again. It's in the freezer as of this morning. My SO is willing to try it, I'm the one with the doubts.

9. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    If you are destitute, you could cook the meat in a pressure cooker and make it alright for human consumption...before the family starves. Otherwise, It's fine for dog food and with the price of dog food...I'm not so sure you'd not come out about even.

I have several BIG dogs and along with a good dry food, they get beef tongue and heart (among other things) every day. I'm lucky to get the organ meat from a slaughter house for a song. Some of the organs smell a bit 'off' but the dogs have never been sick and I've been doing this for years.

As a matter of fact, I've eaten meat that might have been a bit 'tainted' but I just wouldn't throw it away and I didn't throw it up either.

I wouldn't eat any but the freshest fish but for the dogs...cook it and feed it too if it's part of the inventory. JMHO

10. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    To the dogs it shall go :) Thanks everyone!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by