BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. 1zooman12

1zooman12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Hi Ron,
    Wow! 71 grams eh? If my math is correct that is just barely, or is it just precisely 2!/2 ounces? That exactly makes such an egg a jumbo. That is big for any chicken! And a blog or two ago you stated that your hybrid Crested Cream Legbar X Crele Penedesenca hens lay lots of eggs as well. Might one assume that this is more than 300 per year? If all these particulars are accurate this makes the bird a super chicken especially if there is enough weight on a particular bird to be invited to the table, so to speak. So what color are the hybrids' eggs? Might the deep rich chocolate brown be dominant in this instance? The things one learns in this blogosphere are fascinating and seemingly limitless.
    When I got to the part at which you stated that you named them after Amelia Earhart because of their expertise at flying, that rocked my funny bone for quite a spell. Maybe it is because her flying acumen became troublesome enough for her to possibly get lost. Her reputation for flying skill went into the dumpster when she was lost for all time. And it did not improve any when it was disclosed she was in the company or another really great pilot, Fred Noonan, if I remember correctly. More than half a century ago one of my mentors, Kennedy Roberts Ludlam told me that he had dated her for a short time only to be out done by his older brother, George Ludlam who dated her for an even longer period. So Noonan either won or lost the contest depending upon whether one considers tying up with Amelia a gain or a loss considering that he apparently died alongside her. Each having lived to a ripe old age, no doubt the young Ludlam brothers came out much better!
    Neal, the Zooman

2. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    I'm sorry...which hybrids? I have a few things going on now.

3. hellbender

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    OOps...I see you are talking to another Ron...lol

4. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Nice Story about Amelia!

The eggs are Green because the CCL has the blue egg shell gene. Blue is dominant over white. The Brown egg coating gene is dominant so the blue egg shell with a dark brown coating gives the egg an olive green color.

They lay as well as my best layers so they would be in the 250+ range for egg laying.

Yes, they like to fly but they are chickens! so they do not fly gracefully. They can get up fairly high though.

5. Heron's Nest Farm

Heron's Nest Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    Nice pair!

I too have not liked my Polish birds. They were never friendly. Just never got them again.

I look forward to everyong posting their breeding projects for the year,

6. LemonMeringue

LemonMeringue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    The Great South, USA
    I guess I've officially started our breeding specifically for meat. I am limited on space and volume. So I can only have a rooster that is quiet. I now have one that is a Malay. Not show quality or anything. But he has thick legs and a wide stout frame.

I am going to try hatching out some chicks from my Cuckoo Marans hens that are hefty hens that lay eggs that are large to jumbo. I also have 2 hatchery Dark Cornish. Hatchery yes. But they aren't pigs and they are just at about 10 months and look and feel like a nice chicken dinner. I also have one lone EE that is nearly as big as the Marans. Out of all these the Marans lay more eggs than the others. I am just going to hatch from these early spring and see if any that we want to keep. If not we can just eat dinner, lol.

I also do have one older Buff Orpington pullet. Not sure if I want to use her. They are just pigs! Messy and eat a lot. Wasteful.

I did want to use a couple of White Plymouth Rocks that we have, but I've found they both have traits that I am not going to breed from. So they are slated for the pot.

We have some chicks started that we may use for next year. Olive Egger, Blue Copper Marans, More Orpingtons (will have to see if they are like the others), RIR and RIR/Buff Orp cross.

The main challenge I see in the next couple of years is that everything will be breeding back to the Malay if we hatch more. The only other option I see is finding someone near us with a rooster that has desirable faster growing traits. Maybe some of my pullets/hens I hatch out could go have a conjugal visit to get us some fertile eggs. Lol!

Basically it will be a melting pot breed of mutt chicken.

1 person likes this.
  7. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    If they meet the majority of your expectations and needs, that is what counts.

8. LemonMeringue

LemonMeringue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    The Great South, USA
    They will taste like chicken. Check [​IMG]

9. hellbender

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    One consideration could be to use a Buckeye cock over some of your birds. I'm very impressed by this breed's meat potential and so far, the pullets are laying very well and producing plenty of quite large, nicely shaped eggs. Don't know how I was so tunnel blind for so many years.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  10. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    How about a New Hampshire? They grow pretty fast. I'll be trying to get some eggs from Jeff, catdaddyfro, in central La this spring. I want to do some sex links to sell and need a red cock. I don't like the RIR becasue of their personality. Hearsay, only. I've heard that the NH's are milder and not so load. I'll be mixing him with my one Coronation Sussex and the one Blosl silver gene hen that I have. Get it going already. If these slackers will ever start laying EGGS and they are almost 8 months old. Bummed. The little Blue egg layer is younger and started this week. Tiny light blue eggs. Can't get any more from DMRippy because she is retiring from the egg business. [​IMG] I don't want to invest in Crested Cream Legbars and white loghorn's to make my own. The very best eggs hatched for me ever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by