BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. RedRidge

RedRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    TN
    Something is a amiss here... I'm just north of you and get $5/Doz for my eggs. Have you calculated your expenses and p&l? I'd take a financial beating at only $1.50... and we free range, rotationally, and grow and grind or our ration.

2. RedRidge

Apr 28, 2013
    TN
    We raise dual purpose. Ration is mixed by us with more calcium added for layers, less calcium and more animal protein for chicks. But everyone gets animal protein. One thing to keep in mind is that very few commercial feeds have adequate animal protein for maximum efficiency, growth and output. Chickens are omnivores... it's easy to forget that.

3. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona

Thank you all for your advice!
    The brand of feed I currently use includes fish meal and crab meal for animal protein rather than relying on soy, so I feel pretty good about that. I'll check with my distributor to see if they sell a flock raiser. They're a local distributor of all organic, locally grown feed that I order from every 2 months. I also plan to raise soldier grubs this spring to help supplement their feed, and there's always lots of grasshoppers in my yard for them to feed on (even now in January).

4. neopolitancrazy

neopolitancrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bastrop, TX

I agree with you. Dual purpose and meat-type chickens (and probably all chicks,) need more methionine than layers. The animal protein sources are much higher in methionine than plant-based sources, and most commercially produced feeds are rather low in methionine. However, Purina's Flockraiser has recently been reformulated to contain much more methionine than previously, 0.5%, which is as high as my game chick starter.
    Best wishes,
    Angela

1 person likes this.
  5. RedRidge

Apr 28, 2013
    TN
    What is the source and what % of the ration is each source? These questions are can be hard to come by without contacting the mill. Workout the answer to this question you really have no idea what you have - which is why we balance all our own rations here.

Also keep in mind, as mentioned as an option in another post, that fish meal and crab cannot provide enough required animal protein for layers - if it did, you would have fishy eggs. Other "animal proteins" must be fed. This can be problematic in the winter months which is we raise and freeze BSF all summer. It is then thawed and weighed out each day over the winter and added to our ration.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  6. neopolitancrazy

neopolitancrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bastrop, TX

This is NOT a synonym for nutritionally adequate. Unfortunately, my chickens had to suffer until I learned that lesson. Look at the nutrition tag on the feed, and see how much methionine is in your ration. It matters.
    The voice of a bad experience,
    Angela

1 person likes this.
  7. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    The animal protein debate is overrated in my opinion. Though I prefer a ration with it, the amino acid profile is what makes it good feed or not. A ration with no animal protein can be compensated adequately. There are any number of ways to end up in a good place.

1 person likes this.
  8. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama

9. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    @RedRidge

Do you use a flat (platform) scale or a hanging scale when weighing ingredients? I'm getting ready to purchase a scale. Wonder if you have any recommendations.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  10. RedRidge

Apr 28, 2013
    TN
    I have a set of large stainless bowls, a slotted stainless large spoon, and a flat produce scale.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by