1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Kinmera

Kinmera Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2014
    Falconer, NY
    Project(s) for the upcoming year.....

1. Crossbreeding Freedom ranger hens to Orpington rooster to see what happens. I'm hoping to develop a faster growing self-sustaining meat focused bird.
    2. Searching around to see if someone has already accomplished what I am attemping in #1
    3. Crossbreeding Orpington rooster to Plymouth rock hens to see how fast/slow the offspring matures at various times.
    4. My husband dug out his feeds and foraging textbook from college. He's working on tweaking the feed we get from the local mill.

2. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    Interesting. I just checked the labeling on the feed I'll be using for my layers once they're off the grower food and it contains 17% protein and 0.35% methionine. The chick starter I used had 22% protein and 0.32% methionine. Any thoughts? Still too low?

3. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana

4. RedRidge

RedRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    TN
    Mine is a 10 yr old certified digital scale from my cheese business

5. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    We got them from Cackle Hatchery. Very nice BIG birds...I am very pleasantly surprised and pleased with them...especially their temperaments. They have a lot to recommend them. I gave some cockerels to my son Aaron and 'culled' down to three cockerels for our program. We will likely get more pullets from Cackle this year because I just want another 25 pullets around...just in case.

6. bramblefir

bramblefir Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Oregon
    We supply ourselves and a lot of our family (and even some of their friends, neighbors, and extended family) with eggs. This year I plan on providing ourselves and some of our family with meat as well as selling chicks and hatching eggs. The market here for mixed breed chicks and eggs is very, very good - particularly if the parent stock is rare and attractive. I'm also building a small army of large fowl broodies to make the flock relatively self-sustaining.

The current flock is starting their cock/hen year and consists of:

SS Hamburgs
    RC Brown Leghorns
    Blue Andalusians
    Black Langshans
    Barred Rocks
    Speckled Sussex
    Dark Brahmas
    and a Welsummer

Pullets on order for mid-March are:

Redcaps
    Cream Brabanters
    Norwegian Jaerhons
    Gold Campines
    SG Dorkings
    Buff Laced Polish (for our daughter)
    Partridge Chanteclers
    Spangled Russian Orloffs
    New Hampshires
    Buff Orpingtons (for our daughter)
    LF Buff Cochins (for our daughter)
    Salmon Faverolles (for our daughter)
    Barnevelders
    Easter Eggers
    Olive Eggers
    Cornish X

A local gal has raised Cornish X pullets to laying age, crossed them with a heavy breed cock (Orpington comes to mind, but I don't remember her exact cross), and essentially ends up with offspring that performs like the red/black broilers. I'd like to try my hand at crossing them to my Langshan for some meaties. I'm really hoping one of my b*tc*y Brahmas will go broody at an appropriate time to shove the CX chicks under her so they can start ranging asap.

Our daughter is getting "pet" chicks in exchange for us killing off her beloved Polish cock. I'm very pleased to have steered her away from the Silkies and towards LF breeds. She insisted on some Polish girls though.

hellbender, you think the Buckeyes might make a good addition to my wild assortment? I could easily swap out some straight run chicks from my Meyer order for some Buckeye pullets.

7. neopolitancrazy

neopolitancrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bastrop, TX
    Different ages/stages/types of chickens require different levels of various nutrients. The following publication is available as a free download, and has recommendations for white-egg chicks, layers and breeders; brown egg chicks, layers and breeders; and broiler (CornishX) chicks and breeders. Use whichever recommendation is closest to your chickens' age and intended use.

Nutrient Requirements of Poultry:

Ninth Revised Edition, 1994 (1994)

Best wishes,
    Angela

3 people like this.
  8. 1zooman12

1zooman12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Hello Leah's Mom,
    As a professional scientist I abandoned scales more than 60 years ago as they are not dependable for accurate weights. This is referring to weights less than say five kilograms, of course. During all that time I have been dependent upon my own personal balance. A balance is far superior to a scale as the latter is dependent on internal springs which are notoriously untrustworthy. Springs tend to stretch and they vary in tension according to the relative humidity and ambient temperature. On one pan the desired weight is placed either in English measure or in metric weights. On the opposing pan a piece of filter paper is placed and one simply keeps adding small increments of whatever is to be weighed until the pans balance and the center needle stabilizes at the zero point. Note: One brings the pans to equilibrium after the piece of filter paper is placed on the second pan in order to negate the effect of the weight of the filter paper itself. Then the substance to be weighed is added until the desired weight is achieved. The more sophisticated balance has one to 5 bars on which are calibrated an array of sliding weights. One sets the item to be weighed on one pan and the weights on the bars are slid until level balance is achieved as indicated by the center needle achieving zero point. In order to see how this simple system works take your new balance to your pharmacist as most take great delight in teaching skills. He will be glad to show you how these goals are accomplished. That is all there is to it!
    Neal, the Zooman

9. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    Honestly...you have so many breeds, I don't know that one more would do you good or badly.

1 person likes this.
  10. RedRidge

RedRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    TN
    LOL
    With multiple degrees here in both science and engineering i can assure you that this isn't rocket science. ;-)
    We are simply trying to establish relative baselines for consumption and output. It's called calculating EPDs and most livestock people who are serious about culling and profitability calculate EPDs on all their livestock. The quickest and easiest way to do that, with hundreds of head of livestock especially, is a certified scale of any variety. It is more than accurate enough for this purpose. We have so many scales around here I'm not even sure I can count. From a jewelers gram scale all the way to a 400 lb calf scale.
    We are not weighing nuclear material for a fussion reaction... just record keeping for general farm business models. And efficiency is a huge part of any business model

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by