1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Where did you get your Buckeyes? I've been considering them for 2 years now but just haven't gotten started.

2. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    When you guys use a dual purpose bird for meat, do you feed them a "broiler" diet or a "layer" diet? I hope to raise at least some of my NN Turkens for meat and I'm not sure if I should feed them differently from my egg layers.

3. bmvf

bmvf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2014
    Annville, PA
    I'm hoping to start a hatch next week. This week is supposed to be very cold, lows in the single digits and some highs in the low 20's. Will this affect fertility and hatchability? I was thinking of collecting eggs a few times a day to prevent freezing. Is that good enough or should I wait until temps aren't so frigid?

I was also curious on washing the eggs. I've heard that you should and some say you shouldn't. Any thoughts?

4. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    Mine get Flockraiser, it has a slightly higher protein level than a layer diet to help them build up that muscle meat.

5. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    My birds don't mate much when it is really cold, so that affects fertility. You won't know what yours will do until you try it and see what kind of hatch rate you get.

No, do not wash the eggs. Try not to use filthy ones. If there is a little bit of gunk on it, you can scrape it off. If you wash the eggs and get rid of the bloom, you can let in germs and dry the insides of the eggs out.

6. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    Why would you want to use the Malay? They are muscular birds, but they are painfully slow to mature. Their flesh is tough. The Oriental side of the Cornish is where they get their firmness of flesh.

I like the breed Malay, and their history, and influence. A fascinating neglected breed.

7. gjensen

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    You may be fine if you are prudent about collection. I have hatched in the winter, without lights, etc. I have tried avoiding extremes. Consider that the eggs were not fertilized the day they are laid.

It just depends. On your birds etc. It is something to try if you want to. You may not get the rates you would in the spring, but you may still get a hatch. You will know better next time. Part of learning your birds.

Lighting and nutrition is the biggest factors.

Post your results.

8. LemonMeringue

LemonMeringue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    The Great South, USA

If it weren't for location I could have my choice in rooster breeds. But with neighbors close I must a quiet rooster.
    Reason 1 He is quiet. He had has surgery for that.
    Reason 2 he is the biggest I could get that was quiet. That is pretty much it.
    I'm just working in the perameters I have.

9. gjensen

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    Everyone has different preferences for different reasons.

Buy feed for the purpose. Layer feed is for layers. Pick a brand and follow the directions on the bag. They are each mixed for the purpose. Some better than others.

As was mentioned Flockraiser is a good all round feed for growing and adult birds.

10. gjensen

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    Well if he is quiet, and you need quiet . . . . He will contribute size and flesh.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by