Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Heron's Nest Farm

Heron's Nest Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    SO I have a few breeding projects this year:

Olive Eggers: I want to breed for egg production. These birds are typically not the best layers. So begins my journey. I am beginning with CooCoo Marans x Auracana I have ordered 15 new americanas to work with. I have one of the aforementioned crosses Roo to work with.

Assorted breeds: I have an assortment of layers. I am giong to systematically breed my best layers with my RIR roo for lighter wieght, higher yeailing egg production. Or at least that's my attempt. Breeds that will be bread will be listed, but I am analyzing my at RIR, Black Minorca, Deleware, and Buff Orpingtons.

I will post breeding stock pictures when I decide.

Sooo excited!

I will be working on preserving the SOP while striving towards egg production on my Chocolate and Gold Laced Orpingtons.

Wish me luck and any thoughts on these breeds would be appreciated.
  2. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    I can see from your avatar that your dogs are already begging for that meat. [​IMG]
    German Shepherd and a Sheltie?
  3. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    I'm not familiar with the breeding practices and various breeds used to make up olive eggers, do you know why they are generally not great layers? To me, knowing more about the "why" might help with formulating a plan for improving egg production beyond the general pelvic/abdominal measuring and keeping track of who lays sooner and better.
    1 person likes this.
  4. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Yes. As chance would have it I had just made venison jerky that day and that's how they watched my every move haha
  5. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010

Most Olive Eggers I've seen are fairly good layers. I have Naked Necks, Easter Eggers, and various crosses and I consider them good layers. Not like Sexlinks you get from a hatchery good layers though. In the proper season they are about every other day layers with the exception of a few some every day and some about every two days. This I like as they do not lay out so quick.
  6. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Crested cream legbar x Crele penedsenca are very productive and the cockerels can be eaten.

To be clear, the lay lots of eggs.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Heron's Nest Farm

Heron's Nest Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    I love all the input!

I have yet to get eggs from this batch. I am also breeding for color. Those posts will probably go on the olive egger thread.

I hadn't thought about using legbars. How friendly of birds are they? Temperament is also important to me.
  8. 1zooman12

1zooman12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Hello Again, today, Ron,
    And what sized eggs does one get from your home made hybrids at maturity? Inquiring minds want to know…
    Again, my best to all,
    Neal, the Zooman
  9. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Hi Neal,

I just weighed one from yesterday; it is 71G. They are big eggs for such little chickens.

We call the Amelias after Amelia earhart because they are very good at flying.
  10. bramblefir

bramblefir Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    A few pictures from the farm today:

Chickens doing what chickens ought to be doing - digging in the muck pile for goodies.

The horrid little Polish cockerel on the left side is going on a dinner date in March. The SS Hamburg cockerel on the right is staying as a breeder.

The other cockerel staying is a Black Langshan. I had two other Langshans, but this one had the widest pelvic spread as well as being heavier and feeling more solid. The other two were taller and leaner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by