BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    Thank you!!!

1 person likes this.
  2. bramblefir

bramblefir Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    Oregon
    Haha! I can't disagree with you there. I would really like to settle down with just one or two breeds in the future. I just need to be able to handle representatives of each breed I have an interest in to know whether they'll suit me in the long run or not. From my 2014 birds I've found that the only breeds I'd be interested in continuing with would be the Speckled Sussex and the Langshan.

3. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    Well, in that case, perhaps you should pick up a few Buckeyes...both cockerels and pullet....they might soon become you favorites.

4. hellbender

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    Apropo...my family and I kept (still keep) Australorps and NN/Turkens for several decades but since we have decided to absolutely stop selling eggs to the public, we are going to essentially eliminate all breeds except our meat birds and meat bird experimental projects.

We're not going to screw around with it either....this will be done by march. Other than our 'show' project with NNs, we will likely have nothing here but Buckeyes and Dark Cornish. Pretty darned radical directions for us.

My son in Ky will continue with the Buckeyes over NN pullets because it's gotten under his skin from the historical connection but from a point very soon, every egg that's laid here will either be eaten by someone/something here
    or hatched for our meat flock, to be sexually altered or add to the breeding gang. (Again, show birds excepted).

EDIT: Due to new developments, our layer breeds will be out of here by by mid-Feb., thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Giampaolo who live near Indian Head Maryland. They have family here who are my friends and they were instrumental in helping to locate the buyers....(going quite cheap'.

I really did NOT want to resort to my usual method of dispersing birds but that would have worked...I do have lots of dogs to feed.

As a point of discussion, I had to 're-possess' the hybrid pups from my son in KY...not for any other reason than his hired man simply couldn't handle the dogs. I gave him a Heeler male pup to work with...Still a lot of dog but without the balk...lol

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA

6. hellbender

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    Here is a pic of an intact hybrid cock representing Buckeye over Dark Cornish. nothing like the standard Cornish X for rapid (too rapid) growth but these can be dressed to about 6.5 pounds at 16 to 18 weeks, being quite tender but still have a lot more flavor than that soggy mess found in big-box stores.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Nice.

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Look at that full round breast!

Now that I have the buckeyes, this is a cross that I have thought about.

I did have 3 Cornish rock crosses. The Cornish rock pullets were bred to buff orpington or black copper marans roosters. THe survivability of the Cornish rocks definitely was not the best, and in the long run I hesitated to continue this angle of adding in fast growth. None of the three breed crosses made it to a year old. Hence my thinking moved to the dark Cornish. FInding a good production line of Cornish seems to be the usual work to find a good line for this type of production.

9. bmvf

bmvf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2014
    Annville, PA
    A couple questions as I gear up for incubating eggs.

1. Is it important to rotate eggs as they wait for the incubator?

2. How long can I wait to put eggs in the incubator if kept at a temp around 60-65?

One of my criteria for my NH's is egg size. We get around 8 eggs a day but usually 2 are small. I'd like to set 50 eggs in the incubator but that's 8-9 days of holding eggs.

I was going to cull some hens (move to the non breeding coop) that appeared below average. But looking at the 10 or so I couldn't find any out of place. So I decided to keep them all!

10. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop

This has great information on collecting eggs. Shipping too if you ever ship eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by