BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. TheBanditQueen

TheBanditQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Honestly, I think that's a fascinating idea.

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I would try it if I had one of those dehydrators.

3. RedRidge

RedRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    TN
    I'm doubting it... even if you could maintain the correct constant temp you would have zero humidity. That's what they do, take the humidity out of the air. Even "dry incubation" requires 30% or so humidity for any sort of hatch rate to make it worth your while.

4. RedRidge

Apr 28, 2013
    TN
    I've got a 48 still air with a turner I need to sell if anyone needs one.

5. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama

6. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    The person that hatched in one added a bowl for water. It would work I think but some of the ventilation would likely need to be taped over or closed off in some way.

If you did not have an Excalibur dehydrator it would be better to buy a Genesis 1588 or equivalent but for those using broody hens to hatch eggs, it could be an emergency incubator.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  7. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama

8. TheBanditQueen

TheBanditQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    What is dry incubation?

9. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Dry incubation is keeping humidity lower than traditional levels for incubation, which is 55%. Incubating at less they 25% can cause hatch problems but 30 to 35% seems to work for most breeds.

The important thing about incubation is air cell development or measuring weight loss in the eggs. If the air cell does not develop at the correct rate, then the humidity can be raised or lowered to help. Thick shelled eggs seem to do much better with lower humidity. Some breeds like Dorkings with smaller thinner egg shells do better with a bit higher humidity.

My New Years day hatch was for Trader Joes fertile eggs and Australorps. I used 40% humidity for the first 19 days and then 65% humidity for lockdown(hatching the last three days) The chicks were perfect and all but 3 of the fertile eggs hatched-- 6 australorps and 16 Trader Joes chicks.

10. RedRidge

Apr 28, 2013
    TN
    Looks like the question was answered about dry hatching and dry incubation. I've never had any luck with dry hatching. But dry incubation prior to lock down hasn't been a problem. My more recent hatches have a great % with using 35% until day 18 and then 65% after that. Because it's a cabinet Bator and I set every 7 days, I do get a weekend increase for all eggs while in lock down each weekend. It doesn't seem to effect hatch rate one way or another.

11. 1zooman12

1zooman12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Okay Bill Matthews,
    I like your tone and regret which seems sincere. Only a real man would take a sincere reverse stance as you seem to have done. In short I will moderate my retorts if folks are willing to see that as an ancient veteran I generally countenance no anti-American rhetoric. Too many folks have died to preserve our nation, its liberties and way of life which are currently being attacked from all sides. I'll limit my observation to that. So I have an idea… Let's bury the hatchet and make being actual buddies the goal. I think that we just might pull that off!
    Stay well,
    Neal, the Zooman

3 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by