BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Do any of you know if the bielefelders are imported by GFF are any good? The main reason I'm asking is because the auto sexing thing is making me start think about getting some!

Typical of the better Beilefelders in Germany? No. I would be reluctant to call them by their name. Still it seams that many enjoy them.

I mean compared to the average American chicken!

There are American breeds that do just as well or better--Auto Sexing is over rated really--Are you going to kill the males at hatch? What is the plan if you know.

I raise up the cockerels and eat them.

There are American breeds that do just as well or better--Auto Sexing is over rated really--Are you going to kill the males at hatch? What is the plan if you know.

I raise up the cockerels and eat them.

It would be more to sell them right away and not waste money.
EDIT: Or to give them to someone who would eat them.
EDIT: Would there be another breed which is auto sexing which would be a better producer?

Last edited:
It would be more to sell them right away and not waste money.
EDIT: Or to give them to someone who would eat them.
EDIT: Would there be another breed which is auto sexing which would be a better producer?
Most sell day old chicks as straight run with no guarantee of gender.

Rhodebars are here
Welbars I do not know about

Both are dual purpose.

Wow! Lot's of great posts.

I agree that bigger lipped nesting boxes are nice.

I agree that there is usually a reason for strange behavior. Paying attention can lead to some strange realizations.

As for pens, if my husband were offering I would take it! I have my original pen that has a house split in three, leading to three yards. These are my breeding pens. I take who I want at night and set them in there. I eat the eggs for 9 days to avoid other roosters genetics and then collect eggs. Anyone think this isn't long enough?

I have a 18 x 50 greenhouse that I grow my new chicks in in the spring. It has a electric poultry netting (moveable) attached to it so they get new pasture. This also allows me to run the birds between our three greenhouses and eat every blade of grass down to a manageable height during spring when it is too wet to mow and things grow like crazy!

I am dividing up the orchard this year. I want to keep my orpingtons (chocolate, gold laced, spangled and hopefully soon silver laced) separated. This will allow for ease of care and no need for a separate breeding area.
big_smile.png

I love the idea of a grow out pen for roos. I just find myself rushing to a decision. Good to know keeping them all together would be a better option. I'm gonna work on that one. ANyone know how loud a grow out pen is?

I think it really comes down to working with what you have. I have a little land to work with, so I have options if I can get materials to safely fence them. You (anyone), at minimum need a way to only collect the eggs fertilized by your desired male. I think you could get extremely creative on how to make that happen. I do think that conditions could make this difficult and stress the birds e.g. too many males fighting and not breeding (controllable factors). But even a small space can be made to work with trap nests, even small cages for a limited time and careful monitoring. If the desire is there, you can work with what you have.

Great questions! Really has me reexamining my program! Thanks.

Wow! Lot's of great posts.

I agree that bigger lipped nesting boxes are nice.

I agree that there is usually a reason for strange behavior. Paying attention can lead to some strange realizations.

As for pens, if my husband were offering I would take it! I have my original pen that has a house split in three, leading to three yards. These are my breeding pens. I take who I want at night and set them in there. I eat the eggs for 9 days to avoid other roosters genetics and then collect eggs. Anyone think this isn't long enough?

I have a 18 x 50 greenhouse that I grow my new chicks in in the spring. It has a electric poultry netting (moveable) attached to it so they get new pasture. This also allows me to run the birds between our three greenhouses and eat every blade of grass down to a manageable height during spring when it is too wet to mow and things grow like crazy!

I am dividing up the orchard this year. I want to keep my orpingtons (chocolate, gold laced, spangled and hopefully soon silver laced) separated. This will allow for ease of care and no need for a separate breeding area.
big_smile.png

I love the idea of a grow out pen for roos. I just find myself rushing to a decision. Good to know keeping them all together would be a better option. I'm gonna work on that one. ANyone know how loud a grow out pen is?

I think it really comes down to working with what you have. I have a little land to work with, so I have options if I can get materials to safely fence them. You (anyone), at minimum need a way to only collect the eggs fertilized by your desired male. I think you could get extremely creative on how to make that happen. I do think that conditions could make this difficult and stress the birds e.g. too many males fighting and not breeding (controllable factors). But even a small space can be made to work with trap nests, even small cages for a limited time and careful monitoring. If the desire is there, you can work with what you have.

Great questions! Really has me reexamining my program! Thanks.

Nine days is probably not long enough. Two weeks may be enough, but it could be up to 30 days. You can be sure by candling them. Otherwise, it might be best to wait it out.

The cockerels are not especially loud until they begin to reach sexual maturity. Once they start crowing it depends on the birds, and how many you have. They will crow all the more if they can see females. They will compete more if they can see females.

They will crow less together than they will if they are in individual pens. They all begin trying to mark their territory.

I mean compared to the average American chicken!

Their performance would be best answered by someone that has experience with them. Expect all of the answers to be relative. Good, great, etc. means little. People new to them are also caught up in the emotion still. Many that have them, have little experience in keeping poultry. I am sure that some do though, and could give you a good answer.

If you decide to get them, good luck.

On the other part of the discussion, some breeds like Welsummers can be sexed semi reliably already. There are Welbars here, but I do not know that they are available. Redridge that stops in this thread is working on an auto sexing breed. I know a couple that are working on Hambars. So there are some options.

. . . . and the Beilefelder is a fascinating breed. I am put off by the quality compared to the price. Obviously some feel differently.

Back
Top Bottom