BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    Yes! There is a lot of *juice* when I cook a pound of the storebought turkey burger. Which means I'm paying for water weight that has to be cooked off before putting into a meal if I don't want things soupy. But there was no juice of any kind when I cooked up the ground chicken. In fact, I had to add some chicken fat that I keep in the refrigerator, to keep the meat from sticking to the pan. That ground chicken crumbled and browned up so nicely, but can't always get storebought ground meat to crumble that well.

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA

3. Heron's Nest Farm

Heron's Nest Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    I could see myself grinding up the dark meat and make sausage with bacon [​IMG]. I don't really care for the breasts. But I would just skin the birds, lop off the thigh and leg for grinding and throw the carcass with breast on in a bag for making stock. I do A LOT of stock. I use the heck out of it.

As for meeting state laws, I would be selling live animals. If I get into butchering I have to pour a foundation somewhere and cover with a greenhouse to make my own processing plant. Not there at this point.

When we skin birds we compost the feathers for use in our fields. We are really focusing on a biodynamic approach to our farm and the chickens are a part of that. They till fields to be planted, eating weed seeds and fertilize. We sell their eggs, eat their meat, and compost their feathers. Circle of life around here!

1 person likes this.
  4. bnjrob

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    Funny how the less pre-processed food you eat, the funkier the store bought stuff tastes. Have chicken fat and also beef tallow that I use. The family was surprised at how tasty the homemade flour tortillas made with beef tallow are.

1 person likes this.
  5. bnjrob

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    That's great to have things in place to use so much of everything. We're not using everything yet, but we're headed that direction. The idea of using chicken feet and other offal is just not doing it for me yet. I did actually read about skinning chicken feet the other day. Baby steps, LOL. I make a ton of broth and seasoned stock here with bones and skin. My pressure canner pretty much lives on the stove.

I anticipate only being able to raise animals for our own use unless we start keeping birds on a much larger scale that could pay for itself. Even selling live animals for food, legally, can get so nitpicky here. Big-ag interests always come first when it comes to regulations, and then the various medical and hospital associations also lobby against allowing small producers to be able to sell anything. They tell everyone that people will be dying left and right from e coli and salmonella if things are made easy for small producers to sell things.

6. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    I guess that depends on your goals. I'm hoping to get at least 10 hatchlings to start my flock with and managed to get eggs from two separate strains. I'm hoping to work on improving the breed over the coming years and this will be a long-term project for me. They're actually going to be my "learn-by-doing" birds to supplement all of the reading, researching and studying I've been doing on breeding for production.

I had contemplated a starter flock as well, but I just can't bring myself to have chicks shipped to me through the mail knowing what I know of the postal workers around here. I swear they use packages as punching bags before delivery, even when marked "fragile". But, if my hatch doesn't go well, I'll probably bite the bullet and order some chicks directly from Greenfire farms...and then not sleep through a night until they've arrived.

7. jbkirk

jbkirk A Learning Breeder

I'm not worried about postal carriers around here. It's more the people out of the area!!!

8. gevshiba

gevshiba Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2012
    All my extra cockerels and toms go in my freezer for myself and the dogs. I feed raw to the dogs. I go through a lot of poultry. I can't eat the dark meat anymore, so the dogs get everything but the breast meat. The entire bird, minus the breast, goes through the grinder (my choice to grind, not everyone does). If you can find a raw feeder who is willing to do the butchering, it'd be a great way to unload those cockerels.

9. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    We have never made sausage with chicken. Has anyone had any that was any good? If so, could they point me to a recipe? It is something that I would like to try. Another thing I would like to try is canning poultry meat.

We still pluck and will pluck the birds. I do not want to lose the skin. I have removed only the breast and thighs on some young cockerels, but I would rather get it all. We feed some to the cats and dogs. That is what I do with the old males. I am not eating them. I have too many young birds to eat. The dogs enjoy them though.

ETA: The waste feathers, feet, bones etc. is good for burying where the future fruit tree will be etc. It gives them a great start. All of my trees that I have planted have been planted over such holes.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  10. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    I want to purchase raw goats milk, but I cannot get it. Some will sell it to people for pets etc., but I have not wanted to lie about it's use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by