1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Beer can

Beer can Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I usually pickle my deer hearts. I saved a bunch of deer tongues last year, boiled and skinned them and threw them in with the pickled hearts Lol!

2. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    My son Aaron and his friend are coming up tomorrow to visit for a few days and bringing me 2 dozen fertile Dark Cornish eggs. This will be my chance to get my hands on that new incubator he got last year. It's still in the box and never even been opened.

The truth is, I paid for it so I just might lay claim to it! I know they enjoy having chickens but I also have come to understand they would rather get just deep enough into breeding that any broody hens can handle their goals...lolol

It will be handy for us now since we don't want to fire up our old one for just a few eggs. When he offered to bring it, I believed he was planting this notion in my head...[​IMG]

3. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    Isn't it wonderful when their plans coincide nicely with your own? [​IMG]

I was planning ordering half a cow to pack our freezer with and had planned on feeding the dogs and chickens all the organ meats and such...but now I may just have to try preparing that tongue for our consumption. Heck, I've eaten rattlesnake, octopus, eel, crickets, and ants, so beef tongue seems pretty tame by comparison. Have you ever had sweetbreads?

4. hellbender

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    Absolutely correct on the plans..In fact, this is all coming to the conclusion as I almost knew it would. The only surprise is the DC eggs...lol

sweetbread...who below the Mason-Dixon line has not enjoyed that delicious treat...(For the record, WV is not below said line but we butt up against it...lolol

1 person likes this.
  5. Dead Rabbit

Dead Rabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Not starting a war here but WV has an interesting history on how it came to be a state .......illegally. Lol.

6. Dead Rabbit

Dead Rabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Virginia
    I'd like to lay out my next breeding plan and get thoughts and opinions.

My goal is for egg production. I sell eggs. I no longer butcher chickens. It's too much work. And I'm never impressed with the quality of flavor in meat in comparison to what's store bought.

I've also come to appreciate the darker egg colored shell. I think it has that cool factor most folks have never seen. It's impressive to the customers. But dark egg layers are not known for either being ex large eggs or being prolific.

So this yr I've ordered cinnamon queens from cackle hatchery. http://www.cacklehatchery.com/cinnamonpage.html If they are similar to what the ISA BROWNS could do, I'm thinking the eggs will be plentiful and x jumbo size. The eggs are to big and It wouldn't hurt to slow down production slightly. So I've gott them coming and they should be laying in June/ July. I've bought a proven copper maran cock to cross over these cinnamons. I theorizing the cross will slow production some, make eggs slightly smaller. And little darker.

Any thoughts?

7. hellbender

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    Well? Get to it. People want to hear what you have to say about our purloined statehood..You know...Inquiring minds and all that.

You have me curious as well. [​IMG]

8. dfr1973

dfr1973 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Nov 20, 2011
    rural central FL
    Have at it. Sounds like an interesting experiment.

9. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area

man I love both tongue and sweet breads They are not hard to cook and they're so good a lot of people don't realize it but they're wonderful

10. Beer can

Beer can Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    That's what I heard, the darker the egg, the fewer they lay. I went with Welsummers cause they lay more than Marans. I've saw breeder quality Welsummers that lay as dark as Marans, though they lay less eggs the darker you get them. Those dark chocolate Marans eggs do look awesome!
    Here's a couple from my Welsummers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by