BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Torch404

Torch404 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Northern Cali
    DE kills insects not microbes. It's essentially very fine very sharp sand that cuts insects such as mites etc and does nothing to microbes. When it gets damp it can form a goopy clay that attracts moisture.

1 person likes this.
  2. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    See...now I MUST take all that data I've been tracking on my newest flock and put it into a graph because this totally feeds into my slightly anal/control-freak/obsessive personality....LOL! [​IMG] (Why I didn't think to do this already is a mystery to me.)

3. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    DE is inert and doesn't effect microbes. It works to kill mites and other insects only by being ingested by them as these fossilized particles are sharp and jagged and rip up the digestive tract of the bugs. Those same particles are too large to be absorbed/ingested by microbes. The greatest threat the DE poses to chickens is by being inhaled and aggravating their respiratory systems, though mine don't seem to have a problem with it.

4. Beer can

Beer can Chicken Obsessed

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I guess it doesn't directly kill the microbes, but apparently deep litter must have a little moisture.
    [​IMG]

5. Our Roost

Our Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    I never thought of chicken poo as (kitty) litter? Ha. Unlike some animals and such, chickens expel their water intake out the rear end into their fecal waste. This contributes to the products people use for the deep litter method. Reccomended ventilation can and will remove a majority of the dampness but some is definitely absorbed into those products and yes, the soil if that is what you have underneath. Straw and hay products harvested from crops generally are not disinfected with pesticides before you purchase them. Unfortunately you can bring in mites, ticks, and lice along with other bacterial components. Now ask yourself again if using DE in moderation is worth some side effects? I think one has to way the benefeits verses the alternatives or another product or method. Is fireplace ashes a good alternative? I dunno but am asking.:/:/

6. Shellz

Shellz Chillin' With My Peeps

It's my understanding that DE is rendered useless once it makes contact with anything wet. Pretty sure a chicken is wet inside. ;) Wish I had the link to a scientific study I found 2 years ago. It's why I decided to stop using it - proven ineffective by science & my own flock, so I'm not wasting my money. That's just how I roll - not criticizing anyone here. :oops:

7. Shellz

Shellz Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, on another note...I'm striving for better record keeping this year. As gjenson posted earlier, I would like to weigh my birds more often. I need to know the easiest way to weigh large fowl when they start getting over a few pounds - outgrow the little, digital kitchen scale. :p Anybody got any ideas for best scale they use - how you do it? Also I have a rooster that's quite heavy & hard to manage. He's docile, but just not used to being handled much.

8. Dueling Rooster

Dueling Rooster Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2015
    Griffin, GA
    I have been keeping a heat lamp in the coop mainly to keep their inside water from freezing. I have a light but turned it off as it didn't help with the egg laying situation. I had hoped the heat lamp would help but atlas, no avail. Counting what I have molting I should be vetting 10-12 eggs everyday but only getting half that. Just looking at some possibilities to increase egg production. Birds look good, healthy. Poop looks right. Eating good drinking good.

9. Our Roost

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    Shelley! So you agree that using wood ash is not only cheaper but kills mites as well?

10. Our Roost

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    A very smart acquaintance mentored me on outcrossing for a utility breed. The one thing she mentioned was weighing weekly. "YOU" have to decide at what weight you want to reach and when to cull or harvest your birds at. Your birds could reach 6 lbs for example but if you are happy eating a 4 1/2 lb bird, so be it. You can reach a growth peak where weight gain starts to drop significantly and you are spending good feed money trying to reach max weight of the breed. You are doing the right thing and I will do the same this year.
    Getting a bird to cooperate on a scale is difficult. I tell them its a photo shoot but they will not pose! Try pulling up scales on google or the internet and browse thru what they have. A flat surfaced package scale might work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by