BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

That would be nice and soft! Good idea! Nowadays I just use duct tape and it works like a charm. I've even used it to form hobbles on certain roosters so that they couldn't ride other roosters in the pen. They can still walk, eat, drink, sleep and even roost if they're coordinated enough, but they can't step up to take a ride.

2. Shellz

Shellz Chillin' With My Peeps

3. Shellz

Thanks for the tip! I'll keep that in mind. [​IMG]

4. Shellz

That's clever & funny!

5. neopolitancrazy

neopolitancrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bastrop, TX
    Our Roost, that 8.5x8.5 lean-to was roomy for the breeding pair I had in there last winter, and with the run, it was perfect for them to raise 14 chicks up to about 8 weeks of age. However, when I put "new" birds in the pen, they want a place to hide or get away from each other. The current 4 birds in that pen have had plenty of time (>1 month) to get used to each other, they just don't like being near each other. They are more calm and less stressed with extra square footage.

I know the "rule of thumb" whereof you speak, but my personal experience has shown it to be grossly inadequate. Chickens cluck, sing, preen, dust bathe, scratch and nap when "happy" with their surroundings. They squawk, pace, hide and pick on each other when stressed, such as by overcrowding. Stressed birds get sick, and I don't want sick birds. Please read the previous posts regarding soil health, carrying capacity and not taking on more than you can manage well. Please read Beekissed's thread on rehabilitating the gnarly bunch and what horrendous conditions they were enduring. Please let me know if you would like suggestions for reading material on soil health, rotational grazing or parasite management.

Also, I live in an area that rarely gets a hard freeze, we routinely have January or February days of 70-80 degrees, and the birds are walking around in a down coat. I don't think they need extra warmth in their coop.They would probably appreciate some AC, lol.

Best wishes,
    Angela

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  6. neopolitancrazy

Apr 1, 2011
    Bastrop, TX
    I weigh my little birds the same way you do, on a small kitchen scale. I put the bigger ones on a postal scale, the platform is big enough for them to stand on. After dark, they are too sleepy to put up much of a fuss.
    Best wishes,
    Angela

7. neopolitancrazy

Apr 1, 2011
    Bastrop, TX
    When I had scale mites, I scrubbed the feet and legs of the bird in question, slathered him in petroleum jelly-based ointment and dosed every chicken on the place with pour-on Ivermectin. I also cleaned the coop in question, applied sevin dust to the dirt floor and sprayed all wooden surfaces with an oil-based spray. New birds get the Ivomec as well.

If I see evidence of internal parasites in their droppings, or when butchering, I will treat. Currently, focusing on prevention.
    Best wishes,
    Angela

8. Shellz

Yes, they are certainly sleepy after dark. I could just take each bird into the nearby garage to weigh on a table there. Now where I can I find one of these postal scales? An office supply store?

Appreciating the tips folks! :D I think it will come down to what hubby is willing to pay for a scale.

9. Our Roost

Our Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    neopolitancrazy, Our Roost here again!
    I couldnt touch your farm life upbringing with a ten foot pole. I was raised in the urban communities and only frequented farms and the north woods for hunting and fishing and pleasure. Truly not challenging your knowledge here but only commented on the information you provided.
    I now understand more of what you are experiencing. Do you find that raising newly hatched chicks together bonds them? I have different cliques of birds that always hang together From dawn to dusk. They were born and raised together and its kind of like a brother sister relationship? Every time I introduce new birds into the coop and flock, they find their own little space or niche to avoid mingling with the rest of the crowd. I find that if they are the same breed there is more harmony except for the pecking order. I can look at the roost at night and see each group that were raised together mostly huddled together. Not always, but mostly. Not all breeds bond together well I am finding.
    I have already been well versed on soil health and chicken maladies. Mostly because I experienced them at some point and needed to find out why! Thanks for offering.
    Neopolitan is undoubtedly a favorite ice cream of mine! I love stirring all 3 flavors together before eating it. I know, its crazy! I dont want to hear about your weather anymore! Iam praying for spring right now and freezing my toosh off!

1 person likes this.
  10. Shellz

I agree, vaseline works wonders! After cleaning out coop in spring, I'll scrub them & apply it & reapply a week after & that usually takes care of it.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by