BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. southernmomma

southernmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2014
    North Louisiana

2. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    I bought mine ($20) about a month ago at amazon. Make sure they have a "Tare" ability. The tare weight is the weight of the small dog crate that I am going to put the chicken in to hold it on the scale. put the crate on the scale then push tare and the scale returns to zero, when the crate is removed for loading the bird the scale reads negative until the loaded crate is returned to the flat plate.
    mine has a capacity of 75 pounds (about 32 kilos I think).

3. Shellz

Shellz Chillin' With My Peeps

I've got one of those small Wal-Mart scales. I just can't see putting this monster rooster on it. The top is only 7" square. I think what I need is either the bag method & fish/game scale or a larger version of the one I have.

[​IMG]

ocap...how big is the weighing surface on yours?

4. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    about 6 inches by 8 inches. I will need to use my toy poodle crate. 75 pounds is the important part, I don't want to break the scale.

5. Shellz

Something else I've been pondering...does anyone here feel it's important to have special feed for breeders at this time of year? I ask because our feed store only carries the basic formulas. I'd like to give my breeders an edge if it's possible, without too much cost. Perhaps there is a vitamin supplement worth looking into? I was looking into probiotics & found this on a Canadian Poultry Consultant site:

"The available nutrients in the GIT (gastrointestinal tract) cause the dormant spores to become metabolically active and thus germinate. It is important to note that not all Bacillus species are safe for probiotic usage as some produce toxic compounds and exploit the gut much like a pathogen; always be conscious of strain or variety."

6. Shellz

Thanks ocap! Yeah, definitely don't want to break the scale. That's a good weight limit on that one. A large moving box set on top & tared, then just have to put him in. :D I'll check out Amazon site.

7. Beer can

Beer can Chicken Obsessed

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    If you do get a fish scale, don't get the 50+lb one, not accurate at low weights at all, good for coyotes. The 25lb is close digital ones are the best, I used one to weigh ground venison for sausage and bologna in a plastic grocery bag, until I got a small tareable digital kitchen one from Aldi's. I don't think that would work, only eleven pounds, but very accurate. Maybe you can find one of them produce scales like what they have in grocery stores with the hanging tray. Or a old baby scale?

8. jbkirk

jbkirk A Learning Breeder

Whos weather our weather or their weather. Our weather is all nice we just got a cloud cover this morning that made it warm up...

9. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Quote:Sorry, I couldn't help it. North Louisiana has snow!!!!! Up to 4" or so and the first good snow that's actually sticking in 5-6 years. I'd go out and do a snow angel but I couldn't get back up. Ha!! Chickens are fine. I've got 6 Sebrights and a blue egg layer and 2 brown somethings in lockdown.

10. Shellz

Thanks for that tip! Yeah, I was thinking of accuracy at low weights too on those heavier duty scales. I've gots lots of time yet to consider my options, so I definitely won't be making any hasty decisions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by