BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    I applaud you for that. Keeping Javas is not what a lot of people think is worth the time or money, because they just are never going to be as productive as newer breeds. But Javas have a long, and contentious, history that I find fascinating and since Javas work for our needs - that's what counts. So keep on going, learn all you can about the JGs and the Langshans, and enjoy them and be proud of keeping them.

2. Beer can

Beer can True BYC Addict

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    @Shellz If I was ever to get RIR again they would be rose comb, that's what my father had when I was young. Didn't think you could get them anymore until I happened on Dick Hortsman's website. I mentioned them on a thread can't remember what one wasn't the RIR one and had someone tell me that Dick's stock was good but there was breeders of rose comb RIR that had been focusing on production for many years, better egg layers than Dick's, and referred me to a couple different names that I don't remember either. Now my path has went a different direction. But they are out there. I never looked into New Hampshire's either before they might be better for meat, I don't think they come in rose comb though.

3. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    After reading a lot of the old poultry books I decided to include raw and dessicated beef and bison livers to my breeder birds' feed. One of the books in particular had multiple pages dedicated to the feeding of various meat proteins to breeding birds and the tracked outcomes. They did a lot of experiments back in the early 1900s trying to determine the best diets to feed breeders to improve hatching, health of the chicks and health of the hens.

4. neopolitancrazy

neopolitancrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bastrop, TX
    In regards to the question about breeder rations, my reading has recommended that breeder rations be higher in essential fatty acids, essential amino acids, vitamins and minerals than your run-of-the-mill layer ration.

Here in the real world, I haven't gotten the concrete details figured out yet. This year I am putting SuperDFM Poultry in their water, a pound of kelp meal in 50lbs of chicken feed, and am feeding Purina's game chick starter and fresh greens. The SuperDFM is a probiotic powder. The kelp meal is a trace mineral supplement. I may sprout greens after the weather turns hot, and I may switch to Flockraiser now that they raised the methionine level. I may start raising the black soldier grubs. There is always something I could do a little better. Plus, this year I am working with an unfamiliar strain of a whole new breed. And I need more grow-out pens. I anticipate lots of fine-tuning over the next two years.
    Best wishes,
    Angela

5. RedRidge

RedRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    TN
    I'm not a fan of heated bowls because of frozen wattles. We use bird bath deicers in 5 gallon buckets with poultry nipples on the bottom. Works great.

6. RedRidge

RedRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    TN
    My RC RIR line came directly from Gary Underwood. The Underwood line was 100 years old last year. I am bias having owned a variety of reds in the past, but have never found a line of RC Reds I like as well as the Underwood. They are the only rir line I raise now.

7. Beer can

Beer can True BYC Addict

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I remember Underwood was one of the names mentioned!

8. Our Roost

Our Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    Bird bath deicers eh? I use 5 gallon buckets with nipplers set up in my run during the summer months. I will check into the deicers. Frozen combs? what are they doing with the water to cause that?

9. Beekissed

Beekissed Flock Master

I get past the frozen wattle issue by elevating the heated bowl up on a pedestal so that they have to reach over and in to get a drink...the wattles don't dangle in the water that way.

10. doubleleft

doubleleft Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2013
    what do you use it for beyond grinding meat and bones ? I've got one also and would love to hear some ideas .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by