BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Beer can

Beer can Chicken Obsessed

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I just use my hand grinder, I feed them whole fish, bluegill and perch mainly. Kids love catching them. Whole fish, bones head scales guts everything. Didn't cook the fish burger last year, think I will this year just in case they have parasites. If I see a fresh road kill deer I think if going to pick it up for them also and freeze.

2. Beer can

Beer can Chicken Obsessed

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Plan on growing plenty of swiss chard and kale to feed them in the winter when they are not free ranging.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I only feed MY chicken parts to my chickens and also deer harvested here on my land...I'd never feed them actual meats from another source on a regular basis, no more than I eat meat from another source on a regular basis. Not healthy food out there.

My flock also consume snakes, frogs, mice, and frogs here on a regular basis and I encourage the habitat of these kinds of creatures for just that purpose....there's one eastern brown snake that has provided many, many meals for my flock with her offspring, so she gets to stay around to make more.

4. Heron's Nest Farm

Heron's Nest Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    We are lucky to have fields that we can throw seed out on and use a harrow to get some variety going on. Kale is a favorite but I am hard pressed to get my hens to eat Chard! It's high in calcium, which is a bummer they pick around them. I believe if I left them on the piece of ground long enough they would eat it though! Beets are good too. Usually they eat the greens and we dig the roots.

I only ask about the meat thing because it is controversial everywhere--including our house. I think our own birds are fine, but hubby screams mad cow. LOL

We have some great bean cooperatives here in Oregon. I am hooking up with them in hopes of buying the broken cast offs at a low rate. Soak them overnight in water on the wood stove and serve the next day in cold months!

5. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    I truthfully haven't caught up on all posts that I missed while I was away but I don't think that 'hornet's nest' was on this thread because, short of feeding human children, other high primates or animals on the national or world wide endangered species lists, I don't think there is any animals that are off limits to feed one's chickens.

RON

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. Our Roost

Our Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    Heron's Nest Farm, hey! if you feed them organ meat, so be it. I'm not one to turn down a free meal and I bet the chickens wont either. Go for it!

7. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Back when most of the chickens were totally free range- sleep in trees and all that- they would gather around when I was butchering... can confirm they thought organs are DELICIOUS... except intestines- they acted like those taste horrible even when totally empty.

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Mine beg at the butcher table as well...they love their flock mate's livers, spleen, testicles and any fat that can be gleaned and also any crop or gizzard contents. They also lick the blood off the butchering post/tree. They won't touch the lungs, though. The rest of the organs I keep.

9. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    Kev, if you had cooked them for 'em, they would have gobbled them down...with a little garlic powder, pinch of black pepper...[​IMG]

10. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Haha I feel better about not being the only one who tosses pieces to the flockmates at butchering time...

LOL Ron!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by