BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch

X3...I strongly suspect many folks get mugged at the butcher block.

2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Despite that, I never thought of grinding up culls or butcher left overs the chickens are not easily able to tear apart/swallow(bones for example) and feeding it back. Seems to be a great idea but how do y'all keep the grinder clean?

3. hellbender

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    I cook it under pressure and it runs right through. There is a groady clean-up job after the fact but you can process a lot of useful protein in a relatively short time.

4. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    Animal protein supplements of all kinds is beneficial. Particularly forms that are higher in minerals. It is worth noting that a little goes a long ways in the context of a balanced ration. Too much of a good thing is not doing the good that we think it is. They are not raptors, though they can act like it given the opportunity. LOL.

2 people like this.
  5. RedRidge

RedRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    TN
    All animal meat here is for humans and maremma. That's why we raise BSF exclusively for the poultry.

6. RedRidge

RedRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    TN
    They are all spoken for this year but you might check with Gary. I will be selling pullets and cockerels periodically throughout the summer and into the fall to get my winter numbers down again.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  7. hellbender

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    I'm pretty much in agreement with your point. Mine get plenty of protein, there's no denying that but they also get the minerals etc from what is essentially steamed/ground bone meal. I also feed a goodly percentage of commercially prepared poultry feed. Is this scientific...not by any stretch of the imagination but it has worked for me and my family before me.

I have never bought into the BS pushed by the 'scientists' who formulate/sell commercial feed as complete and balanced. The only thing they are interested in completing and balancing is their bottom line...JMHO...as always. [​IMG]

EDIT: I forgot to reiterate that my birds are fed, free-choice, the contents of of the butchered beef's stomachs...especially in winter. We just dump a half-thawed bucket full on the compost pile and they do work it hard. That stinkin' mess is just loaded with all kinds of beneficial goodies. lol

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    2 people like this.
  8. Our Roost

Our Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    RedRidge
    Could you expound a bit more on what Maremma and BSF represent?

9. Shellz

Shellz Chillin' With My Peeps

Found this the other day. I'm particularly interested in the 'rations for breeding stock'. Gotta scroll down to that part. I also found out there's almost double the riboflavin found in hard boiled eggs as opposed to scrambled. I don't have the link for that tidbit, but found it interesting & I'll change from scrambled to hard boiled from now on. ;)

http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/li...ltry/poultry-rations-and-feeding-methods.html

10. Shellz

Shellz Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll chime in...Maremma is a breed of livestock guardian dog (LGD). Had a pair for awhile.
    BSF stands for black soldier fly. Chickens love them! ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by