BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

@Shellz If I was ever to get RIR again they would be rose comb, that's what my father had when I was young. Didn't think you could get them anymore until I happened on Dick Hortsman's website. I mentioned them on a thread can't remember what one wasn't the RIR one and had someone tell me that Dick's stock was good but there was breeders of rose comb RIR that had been focusing on production for many years, better egg layers than Dick's, and referred me to a couple different names that I don't remember either. Now my path has went a different direction. But they are out there. I never looked into New Hampshire's either before they might be better for meat, I don't think they come in rose comb though.

I add a little chick starter to my birds feed when breeding. I like to start this 2 weeks before collecting eggs, but I admit I sometimes fall off in this area. I also give extra eggs hard boiled and any leftover raw milk which activates the GI tract and is full of protein. All protein based scraps go to my breeders, but I skip the carby stuff like old bread. Anyone else want to chime in on this?

After reading a lot of the old poultry books I decided to include raw and dessicated beef and bison livers to my breeder birds' feed. One of the books in particular had multiple pages dedicated to the feeding of various meat proteins to breeding birds and the tracked outcomes. They did a lot of experiments back in the early 1900s trying to determine the best diets to feed breeders to improve hatching, health of the chicks and health of the hens.

In regards to the question about breeder rations, my reading has recommended that breeder rations be higher in essential fatty acids, essential amino acids, vitamins and minerals than your run-of-the-mill layer ration.

Here in the real world, I haven't gotten the concrete details figured out yet. This year I am putting SuperDFM Poultry in their water, a pound of kelp meal in 50lbs of chicken feed, and am feeding Purina's game chick starter and fresh greens. The SuperDFM is a probiotic powder. The kelp meal is a trace mineral supplement. I may sprout greens after the weather turns hot, and I may switch to Flockraiser now that they raised the methionine level. I may start raising the black soldier grubs. There is always something I could do a little better. Plus, this year I am working with an unfamiliar strain of a whole new breed. And I need more grow-out pens. I anticipate lots of fine-tuning over the next two years.
Best wishes,
Angela

Dueling Rooster, Freezing water? Sounds like you have a source of electric within the coop? TSC and other pet stores have gallon plus heated dog dishes which some of us chicken lovers use. Made of heavy duty plastic and the plug wire is wrapped with nonabrasive coil protectant wire. Have not had a day as yet with frozen or frosted water! Priced around $20.00 or less? Good investment to save on maintenance!

I'm not a fan of heated bowls because of frozen wattles. We use bird bath deicers in 5 gallon buckets with poultry nipples on the bottom. Works great.

@Shellz If I was ever to get RIR again they would be rose comb, that's what my father had when I was young. Didn't think you could get them anymore until I happened on Dick Hortsman's website. I mentioned them on a thread can't remember what one wasn't the RIR one and had someone tell me that Dick's stock was good but there was breeders of rose comb RIR that had been focusing on production for many years, better egg layers than Dick's, and referred me to a couple different names that I don't remember either. Now my path has went a different direction. But they are out there. I never looked into New Hampshire's either before they might be better for meat, I don't think they come in rose comb though.

My RC RIR line came directly from Gary Underwood. The Underwood line was 100 years old last year. I am bias having owned a variety of reds in the past, but have never found a line of RC Reds I like as well as the Underwood. They are the only rir line I raise now.

Bird bath deicers eh? I use 5 gallon buckets with nipplers set up in my run during the summer months. I will check into the deicers. Frozen combs? what are they doing with the water to cause that?

I am thankful that I do not have to do anything different in the winter that I would have to do any other time of year.

It was good to see the discussion on scales. You can't intelligently breed poultry without them. The type or style is not as important as being able to get accurate weights when they are young (8wks) and at maximum size.
I always wanted to get an old cocker's scale, but it would be as much nostalgia as anything.

The comments on eggs per week are not informative. Eggs in the pullet year, with or without lights, would be helpful. It is not how many they lay in a week that makes them a good layer. Not to mention perception is never completely accurate. It is how many they lay in a pullet year. That is from POL to molt, or for a hen when she comes back into lay until the molt.

Concerning protein, what is important is the amino acid profile and it's digestibility. More so than qty. This can be accomplished any number of ways with any number of sources. Animal protein supplements are especially helpful during breeding season, molting, conditioning etc.

Back
Top Bottom