BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Heron's Nest Farm

Heron's Nest Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    I meant breeding them. DOes anyone have the tote with top open, egg area, ramp to collection jar? I know what they look like ...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  2. Heron's Nest Farm

Heron's Nest Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    1 person likes this.
  3. Our Roost

Our Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    hellbender, Got any links for process to crossbreed 2 different breeds? Rooster to hen and then what?I need a proven recipe.

4. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    If (when) the big stinking brown blobs hits the fan in this country, they will wish they knew how to do something more productive than pull an item off the shelf and fling it into a basket. All of my kids have some knowledge of preserving meat, and heck, preserving all kinds of food stuffs but Jason is like a little ol' granny woman...what he hasn't learned to do in one season, he gets onto it the next season. His skills have way out-strapped mine and I'm happy to say it.

2 people like this.
  5. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    I have to go to 'work' now..does are like high-stepping and the kids are screaming. When we get things under control here, I will give you the benefit of the very limited experiences we have had here.

6. Shellz

Shellz Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been thinking about these for a few years now too. I can't remember the set up, but it might be worthwhile for me if I can't free range my birds this year. No time lately to investigate myself...:p

7. Shellz

Shellz Chillin' With My Peeps

8. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    I was wondering if there are hand grinders could handle chicken bones. Seems the answer is no and I'm underestimating how hard it is to grind up chicken bones...?

I've seen similar things to what you described, they are so fascinating. Did you know there was a dog breed of sorts called turnspit dog? They were to run on a wheel constantly, iirc one main use was to keep meat revolving over a fire.

Ground bonemeal was used a lot for gardening, bulbs in particular. Nowadays ground bonemeal is not of much use for bulbs as they are sterilized too much.....

9. DesertChic

DesertChic Overrun With Chickens

Nov 13, 2014
    Southern Arizona
    I still use bone meal in my straw bale garden and to a certain extent in my raised (trough) beds. For certain plants it works extremely well as a natural, organic fertilizer here in the desert SW.

10. gevshiba

gevshiba Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2012
    I have a 1 HP grinder. It handles most chicken & turkey bones, but takes some backing up on the heavier bones. I can't get the turkey keel bones through. Mine isn't hard to clean, or at least I don't think so. If I had the money, I'd get a 1 3/4 HP grinder. Then maybe I wouldn't need all the backing up and might not have to do so much cutting up. If I really had the money, I'd look for something that could take a whole bird. It's a lovely dream!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by