BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Despite that, I never thought of grinding up culls or butcher left overs the chickens are not easily able to tear apart/swallow(bones for example) and feeding it back. Seems to be a great idea but how do y'all keep the grinder clean?

I cook it under pressure and it runs right through. There is a groady clean-up job after the fact but you can process a lot of useful protein in a relatively short time.

Animal protein supplements of all kinds is beneficial. Particularly forms that are higher in minerals. It is worth noting that a little goes a long ways in the context of a balanced ration. Too much of a good thing is not doing the good that we think it is. They are not raptors, though they can act like it given the opportunity. LOL.

I am limited in the commercial feeds  I can buy.  We are Organic and as such we have stringent standards to follow.  My husband was involved in writing the NOP (National Organic Program) during his young rabid years, so it is deeply important to us.

That said I am thinking about saving organ meats in the freezer.

[COLOR=FF0000]What are everyones thoughts on the type of animal you feed your chickens?  I've noticed some of you feed chicken to your chickens[/COLOR].

All animal meat here is for humans and maremma. That's why we raise BSF exclusively for the poultry.

My RC RIR line came directly from Gary Underwood. The Underwood line was 100 years old last year. I am bias having owned a variety of reds in the past, but have never found a line of RC Reds I like as well as the Underwood. They are the only rir line I raise now.

Do you or Underwood sell hatching eggs? Or chicks? Not for me but dad, when he see's my mix of egg layers he always says "boy I miss having my own". His coop still stands and looks good, uses it for storage now, its big 20'x24'  made out of old barn boards and hemlock saplings for the frame work with old barn galvanized roofing, I don't think he had any $ in it back thirty plus years ago.  He's not that old, 60 this year I think. I bet if I got ahold of some nice RC Reds He'd about freak out and get back into it, he keeps saying he would like to have fresh eggs again, I bet it's been about twenty years since his stock of reds was killed off by a weasel, even big bad George, the meanest roo I ever grew up with died by the teeth of that weasel, he hasn't had chickens ever since.  I imagine his reds were heritage, had them from when he was young until I was probably 14, I've hated weasels ever since, took out his whole flock, just popped their heads off and let them lay, dad did catch the weasel in a rat trap but it was to late.
On a funny note, dad saw the eggs of our EEgrs, more like olive eggers, dark olive green, he'd never heard of them before, neither did I pre BYC days, I tried to give him a dozen, he said "they look rotten" Lol!

They are all spoken for this year but you might check with Gary. I will be selling pullets and cockerels periodically throughout the summer and into the fall to get my winter numbers down again.

Last edited:
Animal protein supplements of all kinds is beneficial. Particularly forms that are higher in minerals. It is worth noting that a little goes a long ways in the context of a balanced ration. Too much of a good thing is not doing the good that we think it is. They are not raptors, though they can act like it given the opportunity. LOL.

I'm pretty much in agreement with your point. Mine get plenty of protein, there's no denying that but they also get the minerals etc from what is essentially steamed/ground bone meal. I also feed a goodly percentage of commercially prepared poultry feed. Is this scientific...not by any stretch of the imagination but it has worked for me and my family before me.

I have never bought into the BS pushed by the 'scientists' who formulate/sell commercial feed as complete and balanced. The only thing they are interested in completing and balancing is their bottom line...JMHO...as always.
frow.gif

EDIT: I forgot to reiterate that my birds are fed, free-choice, the contents of of the butchered beef's stomachs...especially in winter. We just dump a half-thawed bucket full on the compost pile and they do work it hard. That stinkin' mess is just loaded with all kinds of beneficial goodies. lol

Last edited:
Found this the other day. I'm particularly interested in the 'rations for breeding stock'. Gotta scroll down to that part. I also found out there's almost double the riboflavin found in hard boiled eggs as opposed to scrambled. I don't have the link for that tidbit, but found it interesting & I'll change from scrambled to hard boiled from now on. ;)

http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/li...ltry/poultry-rations-and-feeding-methods.html

Back
Top Bottom