BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hellbender, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Heron's Nest Farm

Heron's Nest Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    Who is growing soldier flies (when it's warm)? Got pics of your breeding set up?

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    @Chiquita grows them in San Jose California.

3. Beer can

Beer can Chicken Obsessed

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    My hand grinder can only handle fish bones, it's retired from in house use I have a nice electric one now. When I get done grinding I just use a hose and spray it out. Saw a cool 1800s antique bone grinder on display at our county fair. Had a tread mill attachment for a dog or kid. I was wondering what they would feed ground bones to.

4. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    They would have fed ground bones to just about anything. I read a lot of antique books and they had recipes for a wide variety of things to feed people and animals, as well as to make home remedies, fertilizer - you name, they made it. They were much more advanced than many people realize and while they may not have had a big store that carried just about anything they wanted pre-manufactured, they knew how to make many things, completely from scratch, that were necessary for decent living and also the little luxuries - things that are commonplace today.

2 people like this.
  5. dfr1973

dfr1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    rural central FL
    I came home from the grocery over 2 hours ago, with 6 pounds of strawberries (really good sale!), the 25-lb bag of sugar (a good sale), and two dozen more half-pint jelly jars (a dollar off each dozen). The kids knew what I would be doing this afternoon, and they thought it sounded cool. One mentioned with great respect his great-grandmother, who is now 100, who lived through the Depression and "had so many skills!" I joked I am not quite that old, although many of the things I do are.

I have no doubt they have noticed I don't buy eggs or bread, but will clear the shelf when bread flour goes on sale. Oh, then there are my crocheted cotton bags I always use. Having chickens is a further extension ... including slaughtering my own.

1 person likes this.
  6. jbkirk

jbkirk A Learning Breeder

I also would like to see pics as I would like to be able to grow some but not sure how.

7. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
  8. jbkirk

jbkirk A Learning Breeder

9. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    OK...my bad. I've never used them but have considered them every year!!! I'll watch for the info. and pics you get and this might be my year too.

RON [​IMG]

10. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    LOL - at least they recognize what you're doing and appreciate it. The cashiers frequently ask me what in the world I am doing with so much of this or that or why I have three cases of glass jars. And they notice that I don't buy a lot of premade items. When I tell them that I make a lot of things from scratch, their little faces are just so funny to see and they will say something like "my granny used to know how to do that" - as if making things from scratch and preserving food is some ancient, secret ritual. What's even worse is that these are the cashiers in a small town store in a rural county. Boy have we gotten so far away from where things come from.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by